Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Martin Robey Sheet metal  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-07-2023 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Darth V8R

Just wanted to let people how happy I am with my order for replacement floor pressings from Martin Robey. Very high quality, and got here in 5 days.

I have dealt with replacement pressings from others, and they arrive with missing holes and captive nuts, and are often only an approximation of the part being replaced. The floors and cross members are exact copies (new old stock?) of the originals. Right down to the captive nuts, attached studs, and swaged reinforcements. Very nice.

I am putting together a huge wish list for my next shipment from them. Most of the parts are reasonably priced, but they have some parts that are through the roof price wise. I have noticed this trend with others - the prices on some parts go sky high as the inventory gets near zero with no prospect of any additional supplies. Moss and Rimmer seem to do the same thing. <sigh
> My car was an eBay purchase that looked MUCH better in the photos than in person. As an ex-California car it seemed to be nearly rust free. Hah! Peeled up the carpet and found the floors were 80% gone. Oh well, I didn't pay much for the car. Stay tuned for updates.

Last edited on 02-07-2023 03:11 am by Darth V8R

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-07-2023 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

Vance,

The quality of Martin Robey parts like most UK suppliers is excellent. The Brits take their cars and restorations seriously.

Unfortunately even CA J/Hs are not immune to floorpan corrosion. Those cool original factory rubber floormats you're looking for are usually the culprit. If you look closely you'll see the corrosion goes from the top down rather than starting underneath and going up which is the usual direction of travel.

When these cars were late model drivers like all Brit convertibles they got wet when it rained. The water would get under the floormats and could sit on the floorboards for months because of those form fitting rubber mats that basically acted like Tupperware keeping the water sealed in.

When I got my CA car I only had to replace one floorpan and was able to patch the other along with some seat supports. The good news since it's a common problem there's a lot of information out there and parts are readily available.

BTW, what's up with the picture of Robin, while it might make Batman happy I'm not sure Darth Vader would approve.

Posted: 02-07-2023 06:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

I believe Robey bought all the metal forming tooling(KIRKSITE) that Jensen had. However, the outer skin for the hood/bonnet was gone, but I believe the underskin/support for the bonnet is still around(??to make fiberglass ones??)

Current time is 01:49 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Martin Robey Sheet metal Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems