Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
ALUMINUM GAS TANK FEROM EBAY  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-07-2023 08:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
redracer

Recently, I had an aluminum gas tank from ebay delivered to replace a client's rusted out one. The construction looks good(haven't tested it for leaks yet) and the sending unit(of unknown origin now) is located on the top and reads 0-180 ohms--good. Sounds nice until you find they put the sending unit RIGHT IN THE PATH OF THE LEFT METAL HOLD-DOWN STRAP???
I have sent a message to the seller(England? ) but hope he will correct this problem.
BEWARE

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-29-2023 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

Notice the 2nd pic where the positive lead for the sending unit is. A double layer of old bicycle tubing as well as a 3/8" hose eas needed to protect it from grounding out from the hold down strap.
The 3rd pic shows only 2 breather tubes for the tank, so the breather for the axle is now left off. There is no pressure relief valve as on the original tank.
Finally, here's a correct sending unit box/number since the one they sent was backwards (and only 180 ohms).
My advice would be to get the one from Martin Robey, as it shows the correct fittings.

Attachment: Aluminum Gas Tank, ebay.jpg1.jpg (Downloaded 72 times)

Posted: 01-29-2023 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

2nd pic

Attachment: Aluminum Gas Tank, ebay.jpg2.jpg (Downloaded 71 times)

Posted: 01-29-2023 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

3rd pic---proper sending unit

Attachment: Aluminum Gas Tank, ebay.jpg (Downloaded 70 times)

Posted: 01-30-2023 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jh092

I bought a new fuel tank from Martin Robey this past summer. It arrived three days after ordering it. It was well packaged without any damage. It is a quality made part and installed without any modifications. It was definitely worth the premium to get the right part.

Posted: 02-03-2023 10:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul Koehler

In the past, I sent the tank of my Austin Healey to an outfit that advertised a substance(?) to slosh around the inside of the tank,
sealing up holes . After reinstalling back into the car, I was especially
watchful for leaks that never materialized.

I will admit, I never had the confidence that a NEW TANK could offer,
but by the same token , the SLOSH METHOD never leaked.

Posted: 02-04-2023 02:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sander

check out por15.com for doityourself rust preventive coatings and "slosh around" fuel tank repair products
***** (that's a 5 star review)

Posted: 02-04-2023 03:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
redracer

Sander's fix with POR15 has been the "standard" for a long time, but some tanks(2 recently) have been "worked/fixed" by another method so they are no longer repairable without an inordinate amount of extra time, thus making a replacement one a cheaper alternative, especially if it's aluminum or some other non-rusting material.

Posted: 02-07-2023 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Darth V8R

redracer wrote: Sander's fix with POR15 has been the "standard" for a long time, but some tanks(2 recently) have been "worked/fixed" by another method so they are no longer repairable without an inordinate amount of extra time, thus making a replacement one a cheaper alternative, especially if it's aluminum or some other non-rusting material.
Sadly, aluminum is not resistant to corrosion. It is very susceptible to salt and water, but instead of turning into red, crumbly corn flakes, it turns to white powder.
It is the water in gasoline that rots fuel tanks, and aluminum will likewise suffer if the fuel contains water. I suppose it will last a bit longer that steel under the same conditions, but after 50 years who knows?
Aluminum blocks and heads will get severely corroded if the coolant is not replaced regularly, since the corrosion inhibitors are depleted over time.
Just something to be aware of. Maintenance is still needed, even if a component is made of aluminum.

Posted: 02-07-2023 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
noomg

Aluminum fuel tanks are common in boating which is a much harsher environment than anything ashore. Some things I've learned over the years about maintaining aluminum fuel tanks. Keep the tank topped up it reduces air space for condensation which is where water in the tank comes from. Run your fuel tank as close to empty as you dare whenever possible, fresh gas is good gas. You can also treat gas with a water absorber which disperses the water and allows it to burn harmlessly through the system with the gas.

Posted: 02-07-2023 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I recommend Moyer Fuel Tank Renu in Greensburg, PA http://www.gas-tank.com , their work is excellent. All rust is cut out, not covered over, it's completely rebuilt as needed and no fuel tank is too far gone for them to repair. The tank will never rust again. They did my tank years ago and it was in the $400+ range, but every tank is different on the level of work it needs.

Current time is 05:37 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > ALUMINUM GAS TANK FEROM EBAY Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems