Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > High Torque Starter and Early MkI Clocking/Fit

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
High Torque Starter and Early MkI Clocking/Fit  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-14-2022 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Hi everyone

I bought a high torque starter similar to this one:

https://www.classiccarperformance.com/products/jensen-healey

I've clocked it around to a number of positions and can't seem to get it to fit. The battery lug on it when rotated hits the bolt that holds down the oil breather. Also if I rotate it the other way, I can't get to the bolt hole.

I've seen pictures of this starter on a MKII but there is no oil breather to get in the way on those motors.

The store that sold it to me will take it back but I wanted to check with you before returning it.

Does anyone have experience with this type starter and fit?

Thank you

Mark

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-14-2022 06:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

I don't know that style of motor, I went with the Nippon Denso style and it's so small and easy to fit, even with the breather.

Check out my old thread on it: http://jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=2605&forum_id=7

There is also the Gustafsen which is similar.

Posted: 04-14-2022 08:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
WhatsUpDOHC

Thanks DGF!

Your thread is the one I've been reading the most. I have an engine like your engine. I was looking at the WOSP starter that you recommend but the thing is expensive.

I can't find a source for the Gustafson starter.

I was hoping that someone had experience with the starter that I bought.

Mark

Posted: 04-15-2022 04:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dwalls1

Mine was not exactly like yours, but I do remember that one of the two mounting bolts had to be a socket head bolt and a ball end allen wrench was very handy. A worthwhile upgrade from the lucas unit.

Posted: 04-15-2022 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
WhatsUpDOHC

dwalls1 wrote:
Mine was not exactly like yours, but I do remember that one of the two mounting bolts had to be a socket head bolt and a ball end allen wrench was very handy. A worthwhile upgrade from the lucas unit.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm thinking I might just have to bite the bullet and accept that I'm going to turn that bottom starter bolt 1/16 at a time and hope that I don't have to remove it for a couple of years (knock wood).

Why should removing the starter be any different than any other bolt on this motor?

But, I knew what I was getting into. I think.

Posted: 04-17-2022 02:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
WhatsUpDOHC

dwalls1 wrote:

Hello again! I took another crack at it and put the starter in place and then saw exactly what you were talking about. Thank you for the suggestion - The starter is in!

You saved me from having to return the starter and find a new one. Thank you!

Posted: 04-17-2022 03:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
dwalls1

Wow, you've made my day. I feel useful. It's been a year since I sold my J-H and the dealer I sold it to is still sitting on it. I don't know what's up with that, but if you know any one looking for a good J-H I could steer them to it. Mean while, enjoy yours and be assured that your starter will not be a source of trouble. Praise God. He is risen!

Current time is 05:43 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > High Torque Starter and Early MkI Clocking/Fit Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems