Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Starter problem  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-09-2022 04:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
A_Locomotive

For as long as I have had my car I have had an intermittent starter problem. I am not entirely sure what is happening but my guess is the solenoid isn't fully engaging the pinion into the ring gear. Very rarely I will turn the key and get a high speed grinding noise and hear that that the engine isn't turning at all. Probably 95% of the time this happens it wont do it again on the second attempt to start and will function properly. The issue doesnt happen very frequently, maybe 1 in 10 starts if that. Am I over due for a new starter or is there perhaps something else at fault? I don't know much about starter motors, are they universal, can I just run down to an auto parts store and get one or do I need to special order one?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-11-2022 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DonBurns

I had an odd issue with the starter not starting the first try, or sometimes starting after a 2-3 second delay. This was corrected by shorting the #11 to #12 wire on the "logic" box. Don't ask me why. This doesn't sound like your issue though, due to the grinding, which I was not experiencing. That sounds like solenoid not fully engaging.

If you need a new starter they are not available at your local auto parts store. The club store has rebuilt Lucas starters, but unless you care about absolute originality, consider a new Gustofson or WOSP starter (the former from Dave Bean) for about half the cost. Half the weight, half the size, twice the power for half the current draw. (or something like that) Depends on where you are located which is easiest to get, I think.

Or of course the issue could be something else.

Posted: 01-11-2022 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
A_Locomotive

Funny enough the issue you described experiencing I am not experiencing as of yesterday, its only happened twice but up to this point my car has always started quite easily. Giving it a little throttle while turning the key helps and then it runs like normal. So might be dealing with a new issue. I am unfamiliar with the logic box you mentioned, going to check my battery when I get a chance to rule out its not at fault.

Do you happen to have a link or parts numbers for the starters you mentioned? My car is far from a show car so originality isnt a big concern, I like to go with original parts when possible just for the heck of it but if its that big a difference in price I will happily go with the cheaper option.

Posted: 01-11-2022 10:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jh092

Another benefit of the hi torque starters is the extra room they give you for your oil change. It makes removing the oil filter almost easy.

Don’t forget about lotus parts suppliers for engine components. Bean, JAE, and RD Enteprises.

Posted: 01-12-2022 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
redracer

mr, Loco & Don: the logic box scenario has been written up many times, even back to the late '70s. Yes, if you're seat belt isn't fastened, etc., the juice won't flow through tp the starter(the #10 gauge white with red stripe). So cutting one of the two wires and shorting it to the other bypasses the logic box. Also, many have complained of the constant buzzing from the beeper there; pulling/cutting the purple #4 wire will keep any power out of the logic box(plus you can now use that wire for a radio/whatever, as it is ALWAYS "ON"--the bottom/3rd fuse in the fuse box).
As for the starter not engaging all the time; years ago I bench tested these and found the pinion gear would not go ALL the way to the end. If you pull of the solenoid and pull out the iron rod with its extension that engages the top of the bendix, you will see that welding about 1/8" on the end of the opening that engages the pinion lever will alleviate this.
btw, if anyone still needs OEM starters, I still have about 5 NOS ones.
hope this helps, bruce

Posted: 01-18-2022 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jim McDonald

I have had intermittent starter problems over the years also. I learned to take off the solenoid and clean the metal contacts inside. This has helped several times.

Posted: 03-11-2023 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Darth V8R

Don't forget that your original starter can easily be rebuilt for about $150 as of 2/2023. In the Portland area Auto Battery and Electric rebuilds starters and alternators, among other things.

Besides fixing problems like intermittent starting, you get new brushes, bushings, etc so your starter is ready for another 50 years of service.

Vance

Last edited on 03-11-2023 05:04 pm by Darth V8R

Current time is 09:28 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Starter problem Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems