Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Leak down and compression testing

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Leak down and compression testing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-22-2021 06:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
DonBurns

I had the thought, now that car is more or less completed mechanically and cosmetically, to take a step back and verify everything, and maybe improve the tune.

Decided to start with leak down and compression testing.

Leak down gave me numbers of 7%, 6% and 9% on 1,2 and 4 respectively, but then I could not get the test fitting to seal on 3. Because of the design of the JH head, screwing in the tester means just twisting the rubber hose. Can't get a wrench anywhere near the actual fitting. This made me wonder about the 9% reading on cylinder 4. So I repeated and listened with my stethoscope, and sure enough most of the leakage was from the fitting. Makes me now skeptical of any of my compression or leakage readings.

Anybody have a fix for this? Like some sort of test fitting designed for very deep spark plug wells?

Thanks-

Last edited on 11-22-2021 06:57 pm by DonBurns

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-22-2021 07:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

There are extensions available that allow the hex head to be turned higher up. Don't know what the thread is specifically but I think it's 14mm.

https://mrotools.com/73110-lang-m14-compression-adapter-extension.aspx

Posted: 11-22-2021 08:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
DonBurns

Thanks - that's prefect! Yes - 14mm.

Current time is 07:06 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Leak down and compression testing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems