Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Running bad  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-18-2005 03:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JohnRLB

After my 74 1/2 warms up a bit, it starts running bad and at times won't even start (for a while). It feels and sounds like a burnt valve but when cold it starts immediatley and runs fantastic. I installed new plugs and inspected the old. They looked fine.  Cap and rotor were recently replaced. I was thinking about replacing the plug wires next. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-18-2005 06:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Given the symptoms you mention, a burnt valve seems unlikely, but check compression to prove or disprove the hypothesis.  Write down the numbers for reference when a problem next occurs.

What is the fuel pressure at the carburetor tee when the problem starts?  Normal is 2.0 to 3.0 psi.  If it's low, open the fuel filler cap and see if the problem goes away.  If it's high, are there any signs of fuel leaks?

When were your carburetors last rebuilt, and by whom (i.e. you, a friend, the PO, a professional mechanic, a carburetor shop, some kid down the street, other)?  Do the piston-like objects inside the carbs move up and down smoothly?  Are all the hoses hooked up correctly?  Are all the parts present?  Any signs of flooding? 

Anything special about your ignition system (e.g. non-factory coil, non-factory ballast resistor or lack thereof, Pertronix, MSD, other)?

If you are using points, were they and the condenser changed recently?  What is your current points gap, and is there the proper lubricant on the distributor cam?  

Posted: 08-21-2005 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JohnRLB

Hey Mark...As soon as my Jensen guy gets some free time I'll pass along your suggestions. He'll probaby say something like "Heck I knew that. Had you just given me a little time I would have probably figured out the problem". He's probably right. He's always been right and I've always pushed a bit too hard. Me and my Jensen are always at the bottom of his list but he's good and the price is rignt...FREE! Who could complain? Thanks again.

Current time is 01:52 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Running bad Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems