Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Handbrake Wiring  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-07-2021 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
DonBurns

I am now putting in Dynamat and a new carpet kit, and in doing so noticed a set of wires that I had not connected because they were kind of hidden under the tunnel carpet. They are the four wires that go to the hand brake.

What do they actually do? I assume when you engage the hand brake a light on the dash lights up? I had never noticed before (I have had a JH since 1979!). I see the middle light that lights up when the brake pressure differential valve goes bad also says PARK, so probably that. Maybe this switch often goes bad?

Does anybody know the order that the four wires should connect? The wiring diagram is confusing and the handbrake switch seems to be mixed up with seatbelt switches. The actual switch at the handbrake is 2-two connector blocks, and the available wires are Black, Green, Black/White, Light Green/Red(maybe orange).

If nobody knows, I'll start trying all 24 possible combinations

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-08-2021 06:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

Let me pull out the diagram and see if I can figure out the colors, but basically you got two wires to the tranny (I think they operate the reverse for the backup lights) and two wires that go to a simple toggle switch with a long metal lever that sits on the parking brake. This activates the parking brake warning light, and needs to be adjusted to match the engagement of the parking brake mechanically.

There is a screw in style switch that mounts to the transmission, at least on 5 speed getrag 235's. Not sure about the 4 speeds.

Posted: 07-08-2021 06:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
discogodfather

This is off of Kimbrough's custom diagrams, hopefully this helps a bit:

Last edited on 07-08-2021 06:53 am by discogodfather

Posted: 07-09-2021 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
DonBurns

Thanks for the diagram. It was helpful and indicates B and BW are the wires controlling the handbrake engaged light. Interestingly the wire that goes to the light is not BW, it is green. I first connected green to the switch and the effect was to cut ignition when the switch is depressed. Hmmm.

The switch has four connectors. The outer two are normally open, so these are for the handbrake light. The inner two are normally closed. I have G and GR to them, but no idea what they do. Something that needs to be powered only when the handbrake is disengaged.

Of course when I cleaned the switch the little contact piece broke. Sigh.

There is a separate pair of wires to the transmission for reverse. That works, I think for any tranny. I have the W58.

Posted: 11-04-2021 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DonBurns

Fixed switch and reinstalled. For those asking about installation position, see photo. All the bits are on the passenger side (LH Drive)

Attachment: handbrake switch.jpg (Downloaded 22 times)

Current time is 12:39 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Handbrake Wiring Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems