Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 2.2L Stroker Crank Install, What's Involved?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
2.2L Stroker Crank Install, What's Involved?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-02-2021 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
noomg

I'm considering this upgrade, I know it's pricey, but I've heard nothing but positive reviews. Aside from the crank what else needs to be replaced, rods, pistons, etc.? Also is any machine work going to be required?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-02-2021 10:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Esprit2

The 2.2 stroker crank will require pistons with higher wrist pin locations. Once you make the committment to different pistons, then you should also give a little thought to increasing the compression ratio.

With the long-stroke crank, and all the reciprocating bits flailing about in a larger circle, the 2.0 block assembly is marginally stiff enough to contain all the inertia. That's why the 2.2 912 was given a wider, stiffer block assembly. The "block" is the same, and it's a larger, wider, stiffer main bearing panel assembly that adds the stiffness. But a wide 912 doesn't fit into a J-H without cut & weld modifications to the chassis. Doable, but do you want to...

The alternative is to keep the 2.0 block assembly, and 10-pin the block and main bearing assembly. Stock, there's only one ring dowel at the front, and one at the rear. 10-Pinning puts a ring dowel at the base of each of the 10 large studs on each side of all five main bearing journals. Ten studs = 10 ring dowels = "Ten Pinning".

That will also require that the block assembly be align bored after the 10-pinning. If you just align bore to the next oversize bearing shell, you may find that they're now rare and difficult to find. Have a set of bearings in hand before you commit to that option.

Alternatively, fly cut a few thousandths of an inch off the mating faces (both faces) of the block and the main bearing panel. That will make the main journals slightly football shaped. Now align bore them back to round using the original inside diameter on the original centerline.

"Lotus" cranks (both 2.0 and 2.2) were available as crossdrilled and non-crossdrilled. And the main bearing configurations were different for each one. It's important that you use the correct bearings for the type of crank used.

If you intend to drive the car in a civilized, commuter traffic sort of way and short-shift before 4000 rpm, then the non-crossdrilled crank is adequate. If you intend to put your foot into it and use all it has, then go with a crossdrilled crank and the appropriate bearing shells.

Have all the rotating & reciprocating mass BALANCED together.

After that, it's the same old questions/ decisions about what you want the engine to be. Easier to drive with more low end torque? Or a hotrod? All other decisions spin-off from there.

It's not reasonable for you to ask others to tell you which woman you should marry. Okay, same thing... some decisions you have to make for yourself. So, what do you want the finished stroker engine to be?

And while you're pondering stroking the 907, know that Lotusbits also sells billet stroker crank kits to take it to 2.5 or 2.6 litres. Expensive, but powerful.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 06-02-2021 10:36 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 06-03-2021 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

Thanks Tim,

When I come looking for a snack, as usual you lay out a full buffet.

A 2.6L from a 2.0L! Never underestimate the ability of Lotus guys to get seriously crazy when it comes to their performance.

Posted: 06-04-2021 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Max_dvdt

We are slowly on the way to a 2.4L in a 910 block- its been a fun ride is all I'll say... currently awaiting custom pistons - about to get started on engine fitment (910+ supra 5spd)

If you want a well flowed head - try S D Engine-Flow-Rite (in San Diego) Steve Stanley did an awesome job on the head (see my other posts)

And Tim is right - wallet is wide open

Last edited on 06-04-2021 04:28 am by Max_dvdt

Posted: 06-04-2021 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

Max,

Having the head done is also another option I'm considering. West Coast Racing Heads used to be the go to place, Richard Reyman was the guy, but now apparently the only do Corvette heads. I figured there would be someone to take their place since the demand is still there.

That's also a less invasive and expensive way to increase performance. Just having the head done and adding Dells and hotter cams would improve performance and could all probably be done with the engine in place. Also it would probably be about half the price since if I went with the stroker I'd want to do the other stuff too.

Posted: 06-04-2021 10:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
redracer

noomg: you're correct, in that Richard at West Coast Cylinder Heads was THE place to go. I talked with him last year and he said that Martin Automotive, (814)705-2411 took over the Lotus stuff. He said to speak with KYLE there.
Best wishes, bruce

Posted: 06-05-2021 12:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sander

https://martindavidsonsautomotivemachine.com/

Posted: 06-05-2021 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
noomg

Thanks Bruce and Sander,

I've been looking for a good machine shop for a while that's fairly close, not just for the J/H but a couple other cars as well. California being California, machine shops, as well as Chrome shops are becoming fewer and farther between.

Current time is 09:11 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 2.2L Stroker Crank Install, What's Involved? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems