Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Strange Misfire  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-09-2021 12:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
BrandonDN

So my Jensen Healey I just got running and it’s driving now (around the block because of a lack of turn signals and plates for now). But it sounds like it misfires until you push the gas and accelerate a bit. However, if you accelerate too much then it makes a sound like it’s misfiring again. We’re sure that the spark plugs are good and my dad thinks it’s timing, which brings me to the question of what is the correct position for the distributor because we struggled finding the correct answer for the timing. But when you put the choke on a bit, it sounds great other than running a slightly higher RPM than it should (12). Anything will help please and thank you.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-09-2021 07:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

What carbs do you have and what's the engine like (stock, modified, condition, ignition setup, etc)? How long was it sitting?

Posted: 05-09-2021 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
BrandonDN

It’s a stock four speed. I’m using two stromberg carbs. The engine’s condition is actually pretty good more or less. The distributor is brand new as are the spark plugs.

Posted: 05-09-2021 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
BrandonDN

It’s a stock four speed. I’m using two stromberg carbs. The engine’s condition is actually pretty good more or less. The distributor is brand new as are the spark plugs.

Posted: 05-09-2021 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

Brandon,

First things first, if you don't have a workshop manual, get one, it has the numbers you need. The manual shows 3 to 5 degrees BTDC.

You should certainly check to see your timing is correct, but I suspect that's not where your problem lies. I think the first area I'd look at would be coil, points and condenser.

Posted: 05-09-2021 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
BrandonDN

It’s just difficult to find a manual. Also there aren’t points anymore because it’s an electric distributor and the coil is also brand new. Almost certain I have it wired all correctly too

Posted: 05-09-2021 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Dakota123

Mine acted the same way when one of the carb dampers was hanging up in its bore. Fueling was only more or less correct over a narrow rpm range.

Posted: 05-09-2021 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
BrandonDN

Okay that’s curious. One of the carbs was acting strange. How did you fix that

Posted: 05-09-2021 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
noomg

Pull the tops off, clean and lube the pistons, reassemble. It can happen to Zeniths when they've sat for a while.

Posted: 05-09-2021 07:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
BrandonDN

Sounds like a plan. Thank you all very much for the answers on all my various questions. I’ll post more if it comes up on this issue. Thank you again!

Posted: 05-10-2021 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Tom Bradley

Idling is where everything tends to be most finicky: timing air-fuel ratio, etc. According to my manual, idle or static timing for Strombergs is 8 deg BTDC. Generally speaking, the more advanced the better as long as you don't get any detonation. 12 BTDC is supposed to be optimum for these engines, but that can depend on what octane gas you can get. Lower octane burns faster so requires less advance.

When you engage the choke you are doing two things: enrichening the air-fuel ratio and increasing the idle speed. Either one could be what is fixing your problem. From what I have read many people find 1200 RPM works best for them. Mine idles more-or-less OK down to 800 RPM but smooths out much better at 1000, so that is where I keep it.

Do you have a manual for the Strombergs? They are available on Amazon. You will need one as well as some special tools such as the one for adjusting the fuel mix.

There is a Facebook Jensen Healy group that has a ton of files of useful information as well as lots more people contributing helpful information. If possible, you should join.

Current time is 05:23 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Strange Misfire Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems