Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
steering wheel  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-09-2021 12:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jomac

I would like to update new stock steering wheel. Can someone advise me on what size of splined adapter I need and who supplies them. also, can I use a 14" (350mm) wheel over the current 15" (380mm). What about going to a horn button on steering wheel as option.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-12-2021 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

Le Carra seems to still be around and there is always new old stock available from Moto Lita in Britain, you might also check out the British Ebay.

I think all JH's have the same spline connector, held by a single nut. You need an adaptor that goes from the spline to whatever steering wheel pattern you want. It would be referred to as a Jensen Healey adaptor.

When it comes to period wheels, you have a huge selection available. 13, 14, 15" is available, as well as many styles of wrapped leather, wood, and plastic. They generally come in 6 hole and 9 hole patterns. The 9 hole pattern seems to work a little better on the JH in my opinion because it is a larger diameter flange, and therefore the adaptor has more room to make a transition. Most of the JH adaptors I have seen have this 9 hole pattern.

Delta Motorsports in Arizona might still have the original Moto Lita made adaptor, I know because I bought one about a year ago from him.

The horn is a bit of a PITA. I just put a button on the dash. Le Carra and Moto Lita (as well as what appear to be a bunch of knock offs) sell either straight up solid covers or covers set up as horn buttons. The problem is wiring the button, which I never had the patience to attempt. You might need some kind of coiled and expanding wire and a plan to put it into the stock harness.

Posted: 04-13-2021 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

Jomac,

I have a La Carra steering wheel, I used the adapter available from La Carra. It's a straight swap with the original. I'm not sure why you'd want to put a horn button on the adapter, the original location on the turn signal stalk works just fine.

I have a 14" La Carra but if I was doing it over I'd go with the 13". The Jensen-Healey steering is light enough for the smaller wheel and the 13" will give you more room.

Current time is 05:47 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > steering wheel Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems