Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Another Jensen-Healey just popped up on BaT

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Another Jensen-Healey just popped up on BaT  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-24-2021 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
noomg

It's pretty clean with a nice paint and interior combo, a late model with Dellortos, and a lot of original things like door speakers.

It'll be interesting to see what this one brings, especially following so closely on the heels of the last one. It's currently at $3900, I don't think that's going to get the job done.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-26-2021 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

The bid is now $6500 with 4 days to go. It 'll be interesting to see if this one gets the same money as the white 4sp, which was also a clean machine.

What I found baffling is on both of these cars the PO glued the floormats down, what were they thinking! Seriously, gluing down floormats on British convertibles in general and the J/H, with it's history of corroded floor boards, in particular is a really bad idea.

Even if you don't get caught in the rain with you're top down, ragtops still leak. When this happens you have to open up the car, pull up the carpeting and dry everything out if you want to avoid corrosion.

I think the reason the J/H is famed for rotten floor boards were those damned rubber floormats. While they were really nice HD floormats, the problem was they trapped water underneath them which could sit on the floorboards for months unless you pulled everything out to dry which obviously most people unfortunately didn't.

Posted: 03-31-2021 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

It sold for $11,750, considering the earlier 4sp netted $15,250 I'd say this buyer got a very good deal.

While prices do seem to be on the rise, at $10,000 to $15,000 for a Jensen-Healey in excellent condition it's still an excellent value when you consider what you have to pay for anything else in it's class. You'll have to pay that much for a Spitfire!

Posted: 04-02-2021 07:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
discogodfather

Looked like a nice car, I thought it's body was a little better than the previous car that went for 15. I think the guy didn't do the comp test right, because 100 psi on all cylinders is too low. I think he forgot to hold the throttle bodies open. Might have hurt the price.

Posted: 04-02-2021 05:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

Both were nice cars, I think some just prefer the metal bumper cars, which could also account for the price difference. Personally I prefer the green one, 5sp and color combination, the rubber bumpers don't bother me.

You're probably right about the test being done improperly, the fact that the readings are all right together tells me this motor is in good shape.

Posted: 04-12-2021 12:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jh092

I purchased the green car on BaT. When I got the car home, it was as good as in the photos and description. I am in the process of replacing the timing belt and cleaning up a previous owners rework of the wiring harness and it will be good to go.

Posted: 04-12-2021 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

Jh092,

Congrats on your acquisition. From what I could see it looks like you got a solid car for good price. It doesn't even look like the floorboards have been replaced, don't see that very often, even in CA.

Sounds like you're off to a good start by replacing the timing belt, it's really cheap insurance. I'd be sure to note the mileage and date. It's up to you as to interval change, I do mine every two years or 12,000mi which ever comes first.

I recently replaced my wiring harness, hopefully you won't have to go that far to correct the PO's modifications.

Keep us updated on how things are going and any questions you might have, we've got some really knowledgeable dudes on this board.

Posted: 04-12-2021 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jh092

I do have a question. Somewhere along the line a dash cover was installed and the VIN number is not visible. Where is the VIN located? Could it be under the cover or was it a plate closer to the windshield like on my Europa? I need it visible for a state inspection.

If under the cover, can the cover be removed or will i destroy it and need to buy a new one?

Posted: 04-12-2021 05:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
redracer

the very earl ones had a metal plate with nthe number stamped in, located on the passenger side engine bay rail.
Then they moved this plate to the driver's side rail, and finally, they put it in the driver's front side seat rail near the tm. tunnel(which shpould be your car based on the rubber bumpers).
Also, the later cars had that 5 digit # stamped into the driver's side frame rail itself, just below the front part of the brake pressure differential switch.
I would imagine the previous owner left the one on the dash, which is likely below your coverall one.
And of course, the aluminum plates on the radiator cowl and the driver side door jam

Posted: 04-12-2021 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
discogodfather

My 73 is on the passenger side engine bay rail, stamped on a welded plate. It's only a 5 digit number, which makes the local DMV go crazy for some reason. It's not really a "VIN", I don't know what year they went to a standard VIN number.

Posted: 04-12-2021 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
redracer

Chris: you have a VERY EARLY J-H. The 5 digit # for the U.S. would have 1110- before the 5 digits on your plate. You should have the same # on the aluminum radiator and door jam plates.

Posted: 04-13-2021 01:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
noomg

Jh092,

If you're talking about an aftermarket plastic dash cap that covers the original dash you may be able to trim it back to expose the VIN split pinned to the dash. On mine the VIN plate is located 1" above the bottom windshield frame and about 9 1/2" from the left side frame.

Posted: 04-13-2021 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Jh092

Noomg,
Thats the vin number i need to get exposed. That helps me locate where it should be located. Any photos of the plate relative to the windshield. The alumnum plates are installed and I'm still looking for the stamped chassis number. That`s later this week. The timing belt is first.

Posted: 04-13-2021 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jh092

Noomg,
Thats the vin number i need to get exposed. That helps me locate where it should be located. Any photos of the plate relative to the windshield. The alumnum plates are installed and I'm still looking for the stamped chassis number. That`s later this week. The timing belt is first.

Posted: 04-13-2021 01:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
redracer

If the pictures were correct, it looks like the blue timing belt was installed, which does NOT stretch. Contact the previous owner to se when it was installed ,as the blue belts(I recently did a follow up on them after Tim Engel's original write up; use the SEARCH box at the top) will last MUCH longer than the origianl black ones
congratulations on what seems to be a good car, bruce

Posted: 04-13-2021 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
noomg

Jh092

Those measurements are for the bottom and left end of the VIN plate.

Posted: 04-13-2021 04:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Mondial1

never paid much attention to the VIN# on my old gal, she is showing 11001, on the stamp pad. I know she is an early model, but any idea how early as far as the US models go?

Attachment: vin pic.jpg (Downloaded 147 times)

Posted: 04-13-2021 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
redracer

The books Richard Calver put together might have that info in it.
I met a man from Louisiana in 1989 at the first Jensen National in Lake Tahoe. He said his was the earliest imported to the U.S; it was yellow and supposedly a '72, which he said was not supposed to be allowed in yet.
Don't know how true that is , but good luck searching.

Posted: 04-14-2021 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
noomg

Bruce,

Considering how problematic Brit cars were in general at their launch, I'd say having a first one is at best a dubious honor.

Posted: 04-14-2021 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
redracer

noomg:
I agree with you, but he did drive it there(i.e.-not trailered).. Have no idea what happened to him or the car

Current time is 11:23 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Another Jensen-Healey just popped up on BaT Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems