Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Replacing Heater core  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-22-2021 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
brendansriley@gmail.com

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I have gone through the entire site and have not found any help with replacing the heater core on my 1973 JH Mk1.

So, for background, I have removed the interior for recovering and have removed the original carpet for replacement. When running the vehicle without the interior, I noticed some coolant on the tunnel, around the gear shifter. I am assuming that this is the heater core leaking so I wanted to know how to proceed to changing this. I have replaced heater cores on other cars (30 years ago) and remember it being a complete pain the A**. Does anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting and then if it is suspected on being the heater core, how difficult is the job, where do I start and do I rebuild or replace said core and correlated plumbing?

Brendan Riley
Sierra Madre, CA
Black JH MK 1 (soon to be original Pacific Blue)
VIN 10790

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-22-2021 08:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

yeah you're right in that it's a "pain in the a**".
The dash will need to be removed and if your car is a "true" '73, they ran the dash top UNDER the window(you'll need to cut it!)
Of course, first be sure that the core is leaking by doing standard tests(engine running to build up pressure will help)
good luck, bruce

Posted: 03-22-2021 11:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tom Bradley

Coolant can also get into the interior if one or both of the hoses going to the heater are cracked or loose where they connect to the core. Check or replace these first. I think it may also be possible that coolant can flow down the outside of one of these hoses to the core. So also check that there is nothing wet on the bottom of the hoses inside the engine compartment. Maybe you will get lucky.

Last edited on 03-22-2021 11:27 pm by Tom Bradley

Current time is 05:14 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Replacing Heater core Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems