Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Replacement hardware for restoration

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Replacement hardware for restoration  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-15-2021 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
brendansriley@gmail.com

My 1973 (built in '72) MK1 is ready to have the old paint removed but I am now looking at all of this old rusty, stripped and in generally poor condition hardware replaced. Does anyone know if there is a hardware kit, like a SST hardware kit you would get for a plane available? The finishing trim has had most of the studs broken off and the nuts and screws all need to be replaced. I was going to go on an exhaustive hunt for these parts but before I did, has anyone already done the leg work and can just buy it from them.

Brendan Riley
Sierra Madre, CA
soon to be Pacific Blue again MK1

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-15-2021 06:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

Brendan: have a ton of used parts, but the special fasteners for some of the trim have been discontinued. Yu may try Rejens and Martin Robey, both in the U.K

https://jensenparts.co.uk/

https://www.martinrobey.com/jensen-healey

Posted: 03-15-2021 06:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mtechwim

Not all the fastners orders at robey Will work i found out, i Made my own fastners for the trunk trim. Also not all of them can be orderd

i think with hardware you mean the trim of the car, if so almost all the trim is Stainless steel not crome. This is goed stuff, you can polish it to great condition.

Posted: 03-15-2021 07:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
brendansriley@gmail.com

More details:

all of the nuts, screws and other hardware is in really bad shape on my almost as old as I am JH. I've ordered the replacement studs with plates at $3 per for the finishing trim but how about all of the screws, nuts and bolts for everything else on the car? It looks like I'll just have to do a McMaster Carr order for each hardware component. Too bad, when I owned planes and helicopters, you could always order a hardware kit complete for those things. Saved a lot of time and money.

Posted: 03-16-2021 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

Brendan,

Keep in mind, this was a very low production car and is generally not very well thought of in the LBC community, compounding this is Jensen-Healeys just aren't very sought after. All this adds up to is there's not a huge incentive for manufacturers to provide aftermarket parts.

Maybe on more popular cars like an MGB or Spitfire these kind of kits are available. For example I recently ordered a complete rubber grommet set for my Austin-Healey, but then the median value for the Austin is around $40,000 to $50,000. In fact parts availability for the Austin-Healey is so good that you can almost build a brand new car from aftermarket parts!

As far as our Jensen-Healeys are concerned, you'll have to take what you can get, but with a little patience it can be done and I think you'll find it's well worth the effort.

Also since even a top end concourse J/H won't bring much more than $15,000, which is basically entry level in the classic car market, it leaves you free to do improvements and upgrades. As an example I always, where ever possible replace original hardware with stainless steel.

And one more thing "Saved a lot of time and money" is not a phrase we generally associate with the Jensen-Healey. Crack on mate!

Posted: 03-16-2021 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Art DeKneef

Pretty much all of the hardware nuts and bolts are metric. When I needed some bolts and washers I tried Home Depot first, a local hardware store and then Copper State Nut & Bolt. That's in order of closeness to me first. Most of the common sizes could be found at the hardware store or Home Depot. The nut and bolt place had everything and if purchased in quantity had better prices.

Some items you might be able to get from Moss Motors. I looked at their stud plates but it wasn't clear if those pieces were the exact size as original on the JH.

When I started restoring one of my JHs I put parts and pieces into Ziploc bags and marked where they came from. After sorting useable from not useable figured the size of each and then went shopping. Generally in my case it was most of the smaller pieces that needed to be replaced.

The trim pieces are either connected with metal and plastic. Some of the plastic I used by going to the local auto paint store and going through their Avueco products catalog and then comparing the catalog item to the actual product in the store. I usually could find a substitute. If I couldn't I just made something up.

Posted: 03-17-2021 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

A marine chandlery is also a good source for hardware, like West Marine or a local chandler. They deal mainly in stainless steel, which to my mind is a good thing.

Also, Brits had a habit of building cars using the same parts bins, so if you look around you can find parts common to Jensen-Healey and other makes like Triumph and MG.

Some examples are the TR6 master cylinder, a little different but it fits. Spitfire/GT6 side marker lights are the same as J/H. The turn signal quadrant on the steering column of the MGB is the same but due to different wiring harness arrangement you need to move a few pins around, did it on a friends J/H, not a big deal.

Posted: 04-30-2021 03:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
mgreaves

Brendan, I'm not sure exactly what hardware you need, I'm in Australia, some of the hardware used on the J-H is common to the Holden Torana, some other bits you will probably have to modify yourself from standard.
The bolts in the SS door trim are easily replaced with normal bolts by grinding the heads down, and into a "t" shape so they dont rotate in the grove at the back of trim.
As far as the basic nuts and bolts you should be able to get them pretty much anywhere, there is a mix of Metric and some strange IF on the car (for example the nuts holding the tail lights on are not Metric and not imperial) Although the GM Torana ail light nuts work.
I will qualify all that I have said with the over rider that as mg JH (55032) is the pre production prototype so some things changed once the car made it to production and so my experience may be irrelevant.

Current time is 05:23 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Replacement hardware for restoration Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems