Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
TIMING BELT UPDATE  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-24-2021 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
redracer

A few years ago, Tim Engel mentioned this high performance belt. I had never heard of it so I decided to get one(ROCKAUTO) and installed it on my car in June, before the 2018 Jensen National in Black Mountain, N.C.
Forward 15 months to the 2019 September National in St. Louis. I thought "better retension the belt". Well, the belt did NOT need retensioning after 15 months!!!, something I definitely would have had to do with the old regular "black belts".
I will now only stock them, and the current price has come down as well, making for a huge safety net for jumping timing.

High Performance
GATES T104RB {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} High Performance Info One of our most popular parts $56.79

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-24-2021 05:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Esprit2

Stability is one of the advantages of the Gates Racing blue belts. After installation and initial tensioning, continue to check the tension periodically as spec'd in the manual's Service Schedule, but it's unlikely that you will ever have to adjust it again.

Gates Racing is Gates Rubber's specialty products division, and they make the unique and limited volume belts. Blue is their trademark color, hence the blue belts. The Blue is just a laminate layer and contributes nothing to the performance of the belt.

The key to the belt's performance is the modern HNBR rubber, and the materials used in the chord body. The trapezoidal belt is old school and not used on any modern engines, and the 'vintage' market is small. So when an HNBR version was introduced for the vintage market, Gates Racing made it, and it was blue.

Now it seems that either Gates Rubber has taken over production, or is 'also' producing it, because I'm seeing black versions of T104RB as well. Other than being black (no blue laminate), it's the same belt. So if you order a T104RB and receive a black belt, don't freak out. It's the same quality and durability, it's just not blue.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Posted: 02-24-2021 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Esprit2

The T104RB HNBR rubber timing belt requires a different tension that is a little lower than the tension spec'd for the old-school HCR and HSN black belts.

T104RB Belt (both Gates Racing Blue, and Gates Rubber Black).
Burroughs = Krikit KR-1
. . . 82-84 = 34-35 on the KR-1's 'Pounds' scale.

For the old HCR and HSN black belts, I recommend setting the initial tension 3-5 pounds high in order to allow for initial stretch. But with the HNBR T104RB belt, there is no noticeable initial stretch, so only one tension spec for both new and used T104RB belts.

*~*~*~*~*
Old-School HCR & HSN Black Belts:
Burroughs. = Krikit KR-1
. . . . . . 90 = 50 Normal Minimum - Time to Re-Tension.
. . . . . . 95 = 52 For re-tensioning a USED belt.
. . . 98-100 = 53-55 For installation of NEW belts, in order to allow for initial stretch.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Posted: 02-25-2021 09:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
discogodfather

Last edited on 02-25-2021 09:29 am by discogodfather

Current time is 02:25 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > TIMING BELT UPDATE Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems