Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rear oil seal (Trans)  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-17-2005 05:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Rory Clark

My 73" JH is up on the stands waiting for my Brake servo assy to be returned from the Rebuilder in Ohio.  Since I have the time I am replacing the exaust (from Delta) and I have noticed that the Oil seal has a small leak (something close to Niagra Falls) I guess it is time....So,

How difficult is it to change the rear oil seal on the Trans? What are the steps?

Rory

73' J-H #13218

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-17-2005 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Joseph Mazurk

Hi Rory,

First drain the tranny using a 26mm box wrench on the plug at the bottom and use the same wrench for the fill plug. Buy some new fibre washers and apply them on the fill and drain plugs. Use 20/50 motor oil and it usually takes about 2 and 1/2 quarts. To fill the trans I use a hand pump , sorta like a hyperdermic needle,with a rubber hose attached to it and get under the car and pump it in. When it starts to drip out of the fill hole you have enough in there. Some people attach the hose into the fill hole and run it in the area near the battery and fill from the top. Either way its a pain but once completed you know its done right. Good luck!

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 08-17-2005 11:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Joseph Mazurk

Duh, I forgot about getting the trans seal off. Its fairly easy I use a screwdriver and pivot the screwdriver on the rear trans shaft. I work the screwdriver around till the seal start to come out. Clean out any debris you find where the old seal was fitted.Once out, I apply some oil to the outside of the new trans seal so it will easily slid in and lightly hammer the seal in. Finesse vs. power obtains the best results.

Joseph Mazurk

Chicago, IL

Posted: 08-18-2005 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Rory Clark

Thanks Joseph.

Just wanted to make sure that I did not need to do a major R & R on the trans. I have replaced the trans fluid when I first started the restore last August so.. I have the proper oil filler.

What part of Chicago you from. I was born raised in Chicago Heights/Park Forest area. (far South side)

Rory

Posted: 08-18-2005 03:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Rory Clark

Thanks Joseph.

Just wanted to make sure that I did not need to do a major R & R on the trans. I have replaced the trans fluid when I first started the restore last August so.. I have the proper oil filler.

What part of Chicago you from. I was born raised in Chicago Heights/Park Forest area. (far South side)

Rory

Current time is 11:45 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Rear oil seal (Trans) Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems