Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > REBUILDING DISTRIBUTORS

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
redracer

Caution: after working on our cars for over 40 years, I found out something "NEW", which can be a problem.
Usually, when I have rebuilt a dizzy, I use all the components that came off that particular dizzy.
However, having amassed quite a collection, I thought it would be a good idea to turn the dozen or so ones I have into a production line.
Disassembling and cleaning them into their various components, I started the rebuild, first with a new inner seal(better than the originals, for those that had them).
Then the shaft with the weights and springs which was inserted them into a housing.
And now for the "PROBLEM"; I took at random, one of the off-center drive dog legs and moved it up into the shaft for the friction pin; strangely, I found the holes don NOT LINE UP?? so I tried another drive dog, and the same problem. With the dozen or so drive dogs I now had a jig-saw puzzle.
Apparently, the people that assembled these originallY, drilled the friction pin hole HAP-HAZARDLY at the time of final assembly, so that no 2 would match((WOW!!).
Therefore, please be forewarned: IF YOU REBUILD YOUR DIZZY, BE SURE TO KEEP ALL THE COMPONENTS FOR THAT PARTICULAR ONE SO THEY WILL "MATCH" FOR REASSEMBLING.

discogodfather

Yes, I have noticed the same thing building my franken-distributors. The shaft and weights and drive dog need to stay together. The housings can be hit or miss sometimes in terms of clearance on the bearing surfaces. Obviously those thin washers (plastic and sometimes thin steel) compensate for the depth issues.

Distributorguy

This is nothing new. In fact its rare for any Lucas to have the roll pin hole centered on the shaft, PLUS its height varies from one distributor to the next as well. The only distributors that are drilled on center at a consistent height are the "premium" cars like Rolls, Bentley, older Jags, etc...

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems