New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Paint Interior Combinations  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-02-2021 08:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
DonBurns

Update-

Total estimate $20,599.72, less $2500 already paid for disassembly, bead blast. Already paid about $1800 for engine compartment and boot, so total cost of paint and body about $22,400. The picture does not really show the damage on all the panels. Labor estimate for the bonnet is 25 hours.

The options I have considered are -

1. What the hell, I can't take it with me. Go ahead.

2. See if I can reduce the labor costs a little by finding less damaged panels.

3.Take to a less particular body shop and put all the bondo back on. Earl Scheib?

4. Buy another JH with a better body and put my drivetrain in that. (drivetrain has everything new or refurbished. I mean everything). 2.2, delortos, W58, powdercoated suspension, new brakes, etc. etc. My fear is that I'll discover the replacement has similar issues.

5. Try to sell to someone who wants the drivetrain.

6. Just walk away.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-02-2021 10:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
pokeyjoe

I sent you a PM.

Posted: 02-02-2021 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Art DeKneef

All I can say is Ouch! That seems to be high to me but without the itemized breakdown it's hard to say.

I would do the options in this order depending on your time frame. Option 2 if you can find good panels though option 4 covers option 2 and may be easier to get.

Option 5 would be my last resort. It all depends on how badly you want the car. Especially knowing you will never recover the full cost, as much as I hate to say that.

Posted: 02-03-2021 04:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Max_dvdt

So there is one other option - Car looks like its still "rolling"

Finish it yourself - learn how to prep and paint...

this is mostly patience

it might not be "perfect" show paint - so what...

Hit the whole thing with high build primer - even from cans and then block sand and repeat -

An earl Scheib paint job (speaking from experience) they will wire wheel the car - no bondo and hit it with a single coat of "done in one" - not the worlds best finish - if you think you'd be happy with that then you'd also be happy with a home paint job.... mind you scheib is done in a day or so...

One final thought - you are close enough - mexico... I've often thought about taking my RV down there for a full respray...

Last edited on 02-03-2021 04:41 am by Max_dvdt

Posted: 02-03-2021 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
noomg

Don,

I'm not even sure where to start here, maybe by saying "Your car, Your choice. But $22,400? Damn.

Let's take a moment to look at some options. For $22,400 you can buy two Jensen-Healeys in excellent condition. For considerably less you can buy a pristine J/H and keep yours as a parts car.

If you go with this shop, from what I see in your pictures it looks like the interior is also going to need restoration, is that covered in the 22K?

Like you I want my car like I want my car and like you I have the means to achieve that. But one thing I kept in mind, although I could, I didn't want to make it so nice that I'd be afraid to drive it. That's why I took a pass on a $10,000 paint job from a high end resto shop and found a shop that does a really nice driver quality paint job, and that included the double gold stripes.

Take a look at my page in the projects section to see what I did since it was basically the same thing you're doing right now. I think I posted the numbers there, but I think I spent about $7500 and that included not only bodywork and paint but also an all new leather interior.

Current time is 02:01 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Paint Interior Combinations Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems