Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Parking Brake rear adjustment  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-08-2020 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
chuckcm14

When I apply the parking brake lever the left rear wheel locks up (cannot rotate wheel). The right rear wheel will not lock up the brake shoes (wheel can be rotated). Should the long hand brake rod to the right rear wheel have adjustable clevises? Both end clevises have been welded to the rod. Looks like a weld fix by a PO (not a factory weld job). Seems if the brake rod had adjustable clevis it would adjust the right brake shoes to lock the wheel. Will adjusting the brake cable take care of the problem, or will it apply to much locking to the left wheel brake shoe so they will not release completely when parking brake lever is released.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-09-2020 12:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
gmgiltd

I would suggest you check the the equalising linkage in the centre is free and lubed - in theory the pull on each brake rod should be very similar and adjusting one rod should balance both.
Gordon

Posted: 01-07-2021 01:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
chuckcm14

Gordon,
Thanks for the info. I had previously cleaned and lightly oiled the pins and anything that rotated. I received a new brake rod assembly from the UK. The old removed rod assy is longer and has a very wide bow in it compared to the new rod. Installed the new rod assy adjusted cable to provide enough slack and this fixed the problem.
Chuck

Current time is 09:54 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Parking Brake rear adjustment Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems