Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Getrag 5 speed sometimes grinds when shifting into first at full stop

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Getrag 5 speed sometimes grinds when shifting into first at full stop  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-03-2020 01:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jagwire64

74 JH with Getrag 5 speed.

Sometimes, when at a full stop, engage clutch and shift into first I get a slight grind before finding first. Doesn't happen all the time but at least once on every drive. shifts fine otherwise.

I have adjusted the clutch cable to shop manual spec a couple times.

Some internet research says it is common on Little British Cars and you should shift to second then first.

Is this the general procedure and I need to develop this habit or do i need to further adjust my clutch cable?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-04-2020 02:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

I have some grinding once and awhile if I don't get the shift right, meaning there is excessive pressure or misalignment of the shifter relative to the gate, but this is pretty much true of any transmission.

When I rebuilt my shifter linkage I learned that any pressure on the shifter from the rubber or leather (or foam in some cases) at the shift gate creates all kinds of problems with the Getrag 235/5. The shift linkage system on these seems to have been a bit of an afterthought and isn't ideal, so anything wrong means something noticeable. After fiddling with the mechanism, aligning it, changing all the motor/trans mounts, and making sure the gate was completely unobstructed the problems have virtually all gone away. It shifts crisply and smoothly now, and stays in gear. I would have all kinds of intermittent problems with popping out of first, second, and thrid before the various things I did.

First is geared low so I do find myself, at any time when the vehicle is rolling, to start in second. The "dog leg" philosophy is really present in this design and it's gearing, so you really are thinking in terms of a H pattern and spend 95% of your time in that pattern.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 05:15 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Getrag 5 speed sometimes grinds when shifting into first at full stop Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems