Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
driveshaft 5 speed  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-07-2020 08:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jomac

my jensen has a 2 piece driveshaft with a center bearing.
i noticed when under the car as i rotated the driveshaft
in makes a jingling noise.Thought there was stones in there, no such luck. Could this be a warn bearing or is that noise normal? i have no vibrations but i get a wholling noise most noticed in 4 and 5 gear. i seems to be getting louder as time goes by.

PS deeply sorry to hear the passing of Frank, his comments will surely be missed.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-07-2020 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

Some play is present in the U joints but it isn't a whole lot. Is the center adjuster greased up? If you inject some new grease in there and jiggle it, does the noise soften or go away? That's a sign the play is in that, which is just splined shaft that is greased. Splines can wear off of it and cause excessive play. I don't think any bearing is in there.

When I rebuilt my driveshaft 6 months ago, I pulled it off and then sat it on a box in the garage. I assumed the mechanism at the center was captive, but no- the shaft slowly slipped out and fell apart. I cleaned it up and regreased it, checking the splines.

Might also want to check the play in the transmission output shaft and the play in the differential, as well as any loose bolts on the actual U joint connection points.

Posted: 11-07-2020 10:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jomac

does your jensen have a 4 or 5 speed trans. and is the driveshaft 1 piece. i have a 2 piece design for the 5 speed trans, there is a large center bearing inside the caged area. Center bearing is not available and owners switch to a 1 piece driveshaft for their 5 speed car.

Posted: 11-08-2020 12:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

wow--surprised you still have the 2 piece for your 5 speed; almost everyone I know has had a one piece made(I put larger bearings in mine)
You will need to cut out the support pieces in the center mount and cut away some of the back lower part as the one piece shaft will hit that when the rear "springs" up.
30 years ago mine cost about $225 at a "DRIVELINE" which I hope is still around(national chain)

Posted: 11-09-2020 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jomac

today i did inspection on my 2 piece driveshaft. the shaft assembly is like new condition. the bearing is fine and the rubber boot the surrounds it is in very good condition. the noise i heard earlier is not present. but i did notice that the 2 piece design i can slide the second half of the shaft back and forth about 1/2". which isn't a problem, but i notice when i slide it rearward i hits a pinion shaft component as a stop.The noise i get while driving occurs whenever i apply throttle, else the car coast along quietly. looking at the rear diff input area there is a seal, but the seal is recessed inside the diff housing,which allows movement. i can't find any info on how this seal should look. my assumption is that when i apply throttle while cruising the driveshaft is pushed against the metal surface causing a noise. else its bearing in the 5 speed.
your thoughts?

Posted: 11-09-2020 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jomac

today i did inspection on my 2 piece driveshaft. the shaft assembly is like new condition. the bearing is fine and the rubber boot the surrounds it is in very good condition. the noise i heard earlier is not present. but i did notice that the 2 piece design i can slide the second half of the shaft back and forth about 1/2". which isn't a problem, but i notice when i slide it rearward i hits a pinion shaft component as a stop.The noise i get while driving occurs whenever i apply throttle, else the car coast along quietly. looking at the rear diff input area there is a seal, but the seal is recessed inside the diff housing,which allows movement. i can't find any info on how this seal should look. my assumption is that when i apply throttle while cruising the driveshaft is pushed against the metal surface causing a noise. else its bearing in the 5 speed.
your thoughts?

Posted: 11-09-2020 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
redracer

the input shaft for the diff should not move at all. That is the shaft with the pinion gear on it that had been carefully matched with the ring gear(which uses shims to get the proper meshing). An enormous problem I have seen with people replacing the front pinion seal is that they don't mark where the nut was(VERY IMPORTANT) and they go ahead and over torque the nut collapsing the "crush washer" and making slop between the pinion and ring gears.

Posted: 11-09-2020 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
jomac

i may a stated it wrong , the pinion shaft does not move
its the drive have assembly can slide back and forth along the yoke splined shaft and at the diff that movement is stopped by maybe the pinion shaft bearing race or the diff housing casting.the current seal hides this. the diff is stationary and the driveshaft is rotating possibly causing the noise. This is why knowing what the diff seal looks like. if it's supposed to be recessed or protruding out? getting a picture of the diff and driveshaft end showing the seal would be helpful.
regards

Posted: 11-09-2020 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
redracer

if you're getting noise under acceleration, you may 1)be low in fluid; 2)the pinion & ring gear no longer mesh properly(live with it or get a somewhat expensive good used one--$350 & up), or reshim the diff(if you're not a mechanic, you'll need to take it to someone and get a shim pack(if they still have them)

Posted: 11-09-2020 08:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jomac

THANKS FOR THE ADVISE. it does sound like its a rear end issue. who did jensen have supply the diff, i read that they used a GM one from a vega? i do have a local source that does diffs only.

Posted: 11-10-2020 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
redracer

I believe the differentials(both 4 & 5spd.) are Vauxhall(Viva model?)

Current time is 04:13 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > driveshaft 5 speed Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems