Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Steering bushing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-06-2020 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jagwire64

Found what was left of probably the original steering bushing on the floor under the car. Took a bit to figure out what it was. Ordered a replacement but am not sure where it is installed exactly.

Read Art DeKneef's install directions: remove u joint, remove column bolts, left out column, install bush.

From what i gather it either goes in from the engine firewall side (unbolting the column may not be needed) or it goes in from the interior and you must first remove the lower column mounting bracket (his install doesn't list that step?) Or you don't need to remove the bracket?

The shop diagram doesn't show the firewall in relation to the bush and bracket.

Thanks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-06-2020 09:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jagwire64

I got it figured out. bushing goes in on the engine side. Did find some remnants of a perished rubber isolater/grommet that goes between the firewall cut out and column shroud?

Any one have a source or spec for this part? It isn't listed in the shop diagram. I jury rigged some large gasket and put the half piece back in.

Posted: 10-07-2020 01:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

If you're talking about the firewall bushing for the upper steering shaft as it passes through the firewall, the original was a piece of leather encased in a plastic/nylon outer shell with 2 "nibs" on the outside to fit into holes inside the firewall.
DELTA has a nice "neoprene" bushing with the 2 nibs to replace the archaic original, with a small packet of silicone(very necessary to use it.)
I would recommend this replacement highly.
cheers, bruce

Current time is 06:05 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Steering bushing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems