Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > sudden loss of power, for a while!!!

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
sudden loss of power, for a while!!!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-07-2020 03:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jomac

I experienced today while driving the motor began to sputter ,loss of power and would not want to accelerate.
It lasted for a short time (5 minutes), i rev the motor several times and then I turned it off. restarted motor and rev the motor and all is well. I was able to drive the car home without any problems. Any thoughts on where to start my investigation?

update:
i have a universal 12v micro electric fuel pump 2-3.5 psi installed it last year (carbole brand type). it has micro filter. i also, have a filter just before the carbs.
reviewing the engine i found a brown wire coming from the alternator harness with an exposed end ( the tape wrap was coming off) touching the oil cooler adapter line.fixed that maybe that caused the problem. will see.
first chance i get i'll flush the fuel lines.
update 2: found the problem clogged fuel filter at the tank before pump. 5 years ago i used an epoxy coating sold by a harley dealer, come to find out it's a temp fix the coating breaks down and comes off in sheets!
having tank striped and refinished at a tank restoration service.

Last edited on 09-09-2020 06:49 pm by jomac

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-07-2020 04:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

If it was "sputtering" s you said, it is most likely a fuel problem(if the TACH went to zero, then an electrical problem). Since the car restarted after sitting, a clogged fuel filter(or even an old fuel pump--ask me how I know), would likely be the culprit.
Start with the filters and keep us posted

Posted: 09-21-2020 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

Jomac,

I have experienced a similar problem on occasion usually after the car has sat for a while. The car starts and runs normally until I get out on the road then under brisk acceleration it starts to sputter then I have to do a low RPM drive home.

My problem was one(or both)of the pistons in the carburetors sticking so under acceleration the carb is starving the motor. Pulling the carb tops off and cleaning and lubing the pistons solved the problem.

Current time is 08:26 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > sudden loss of power, for a while!!! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems