BUMPER? HOOD HELP!!!  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-17-2005 10:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
nvandal

Folks,

I have two questions:

First, I am looking for a good condition front metal bumper. Mine is kinked and likely not repairable, or so I'm told. So, if anyone out there has a decent bumper for sale, please let me know. Or, even a stainless top? I can fix the lower section since it can be filled and sanded.

Second, my car once had the typical Stromberg fire. It didn't damage the engine compartment, but warped the hood, which is now quite " weewaw " above the carb area. Otherwise, the hood is absolutely perfect. I have a second hood, but it has rusted lips and rust in other areas. However, the center section is perfect. So, is it feasible to cut out the center of both and have the good one welded in to the warped hood?

I hate messing with rust, and repairing all the rust areas would likely take as much time, especially since much is on the edges  Please advise, anyone with body work experience.

Thank you kindly,

Norm Vandal

Roxbury, VT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-17-2005 12:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
StabnSteer

Sorry - don't have a bumper for ya!

And you can buy a good hood (and have it shipped to you from anywhere in the world) for TONS less than you would have to pay to cut out one hood and weld it to another...then finish it out so nobody knows anything was done. I think you'd also find a replacement hood for cheaper than it would cost to attack the rust as well...

So I'd say, get looking for a replacement! :o)

Posted: 08-17-2005 06:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
nvandal

Hello,

Thanks for your help. Can you suggest some sources for hoods? I am new to this and have no idea where to begin searching. That's why I put the question out there. So, if anyone reading this does have a good condition hood, please let me know. Also, I live in New England.

Thanks, Norm Vandal

Posted: 08-17-2005 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mitch Ware

British Masters has hoods listed for $125-$425

http://www2.4dcomm.com/bmr/main/jhealey.htm

I've used them in the past, they aren't always the cheapest and they tend to take awhile to get around to shipping the part, but at least it is a source.

Mitch Ware
1974 JH-5 #111119670
1971 TR-6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 08-18-2005 06:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
StabnSteer

Yup - I'd have also suggested British Masters...they appear to break a JH every couple of weeks or so. Their shipping is often a bit silly in price, but when you're the only game in town...and still, even though expensive, they'll be cheaper than trying to rework an already bad one...

Otherwise, you can await one to show up in the JHPS For Sale section...

:o)

Last edited on 08-18-2005 06:45 pm by StabnSteer

Posted: 08-18-2005 06:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Panini

Norm,

There is a hood listed on ebay 4569476842

J&N

Posted: 03-21-2006 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
colinw59

I have a perfect fibreglass hood that came with my 74 JH. The original hood  had the trademark kink at the prop mounting point. I got a great used steel one from a friend, so I won't need the fibreglass one and would sell it to you for $250 + shipping from CT. It would need to have to latch and hinge bolt holes added. It's very light as you can imagine. I can send you some pics if you're interested. I think Delta sells these for $500 or more.  Thanks colinw59@hotmail.com

Current time is 06:47 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > BUMPER? HOOD HELP!!! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems