Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > new owner thrying to understand Door Lock function

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
new owner thrying to understand Door Lock function  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-28-2020 06:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jagwire64

My drivers side door locking cylinder only seems to be moving a 1/4 turn one way. And it doesn't seem to be locking or unlocking. The passanger door locks and unlocks with the key.

Reading the owners handbook i found on the web it says the passenger door must be locked from the inside with the door closed.

So I am assuming you aren't supposed to be able to lock the passenger door with the key?

I am thinking the PO switched the door locking cylinders?

Want to check if my understanding of how the door locks are supposed to work is correct.

The car is a 1974 MKII...not sure if the door locks changed to allow locking and unlocking on both sides with the key?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited on 07-28-2020 06:46 pm by Jagwire64

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-28-2020 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jagwire64

I switched the lock cylinders...driver's door now locks and unlocks.

Passenger door cylinder only turns clockwise a quarter turn which locks the door? I thought that would unlock.

I can't figure out what setup the levers need to be in for the key to unlock the door as the manual says.

Having the dual function on the drivers side is an improvement though.

Posted: 07-29-2020 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

if you switched the cylinders, that means you had the door panels off, etc. You should look at the mechanism that's working and see if you're missing whatever on the "bad" side(yes, they should BOTH lock with a key).
When the "bad" cylinder was out, would it turn fully with the key? If not, it may be a bad cylinder(there are only 5 pins in the door, trunk, and glove box lock and easy enough to pull the pins out and rearrange)

Posted: 07-29-2020 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jagwire64

I took the cylinder apart and cleaned it and lubed it. I didn't fool with the pins though. It appears to be working...if the pins allow it to go clockwise with a key, I don't know why it wouldn't go they other way as well. Unless it's not supposed to.

One cylinder locks and unlocks, I put it on the drivers side. The other cylinder only turns a 1/4 turn clockwise. Which, is locking the passenger door. The key won't turn the other way, so it won't unlock the door.

Should I be able to unlock the passanger door with the key as well? My reading of the owners manual suggested the passenger door key only turned one way. It only unlocked the door?

The cylinder appears to be functioning..maybe I should take it to a locksmith. Especially if both doors should lock and unlock with the key?

Last edited on 07-29-2020 02:08 am by Jagwire64

Posted: 07-29-2020 12:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The last thing in the world you want to do in a convertible is lock the doors, all it takes is a knife to splash the top open to get it, then your not only out the item they wanted but also a top.
Put your valuables in the trunk (Boot).

Posted: 07-29-2020 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jagwire64

Very good advice.

I doubt I will ever put the top up. I assume most people leave the top down when parked (restaurants or malls etc.). I have never owned a roadster so not sure. I thought you just rolled the windows up and locked the doors with the top down. Keep the lookey-loos out. However, motivated thieves will get anything no matter how well secured.

Do you all put the top up when parked in public spaces?

Posted: 07-29-2020 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sander

"Do you all put the top up when parked in public spaces?"

Ummmmm ... if I think it's gonna rain .....

Posted: 07-29-2020 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dakota123

Jagwire64 wrote: Very good advice.

I doubt I will ever put the top up. I assume most people leave the top down when parked (restaurants or malls etc.). I have never owned a roadster so not sure. I thought you just rolled the windows up and locked the doors with the top down. Keep the lookey-loos out. However, motivated thieves will get anything no matter how well secured.

Do you all put the top up when parked in public spaces?
If I'm close and can dash and put the top up if need be, I leave it down.  I typically use the tonneau cover if it's outside, or just leave it to the thieves if it's in a parking garage.

Posted: 07-29-2020 10:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
kart54

I have never had a top on my car. It does have a tonneau cover that I zip closed when I am out and around. I have never even tried my door locks to see if they work.
I learned a long time ago not to leave anything in the car that I actually like and want to continue to own. If somebody wants to steal the car it's all theirs. Not going to worry about it. As far as interior pieces I own the only Jensen Healey in my area so I'm not sure why anybody would want to take anything.
I do my best not to drive it when it might rain.

Posted: 07-30-2020 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

You don't need to put the top up, but if it's hot and sunny then flip your seat backs forward so that they shade the seat bottoms, nothing like toasting a few Buns to learn that lesson. Hahahah....

Posted: 07-30-2020 01:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jagwire64

That is a great tip...that I probably wouldn't have thought of.

Thanks.

Posted: 07-31-2020 01:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
noomg

Jag,

Both door locks should work, otherwise why would they have put one on the passenger side in the first place. Both of my door locks work but in the 27 years I've owned the car I've never used them, even once! But I get it, even if you don't use it, if it's on the car you want it to work.

Other than keeping valuables out of the passenger compartment I wouldn't worry about thieves too much. Most thieves are in their teens and twenties, they don't even know what a Jensen-Healey is. Even if they give your car a look they will most likely see an unappealing old radio, and nothing loose they can grab and move on to a Prius or Toyota.

Posted: 08-01-2020 01:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Paul Koehler

On a scale of 1-10, where 1 = must do today, and 10 = it can wait,
door locks and fixing the clock rate about 1,000,000. It is great that you are enthusiastic enough to go after the minutia, but 50 year old cars often have other issues to occupy and frustrate owners.

Congrats to you if you have reached the point of having all you ducks in a row and are now going after the last few boxes to be checked off.

Posted: 08-01-2020 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jagwire64

I am one of those people that fix things. If it's broken, I fix it...whether its locks or brakes...I like things to work the way they should.

The owner's manual stating the passenger door lock only unlocked with the key is what prompted the questions on here. I'm still not sure how it is supposed to work. The passenger door locks, but doesn't unlock with the key. Maybe that is how it is supposed to work. I guess I will never know. The driver's door does both. I give up...the driver's door is sorted so that's an improvement.

I'm not sure all the persecution is warranted. Telling me what I wanted to know, would have been easier then telling me I'm a fool for fixing the locks. Maybe I am a fool...I did buy an old British car? Maybe I will come up with a more important problem next time. If there is a next time(I'm sure it's downhill from here).

Some of you were helpful...and I thank you.

Last edited on 08-02-2020 01:17 pm by Jagwire64

Posted: 08-02-2020 01:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Hey If you can't have a bit of fun, no one is picking on you personally,.
As for the locks, the drivers side came with a keyed door lock that is supposed (supposed) to work from the outside with a key. The passenger side on some earlier cars did NOT have a key lock on the outside, and could only be locked and un-locked from the inside, if your car (I take has a key lock on the passenger side) then that lock should function the same as the drivers side, with the same key. Boot (trunk) key is different, as is the ignition, so all cars came with 3 keys.
It could be that the key tumbler is corroded inside, or the linkage is not connected, either way the door panel needs to be of, and personally if it was me I'd just take the entire system out of the car, get it on the bench, and clean it up and lube it, figure out whats not working and replace it.
I actually admire people that want what is there working, but at some point I ask myself, self is it worth it.
So cheer up and have fun with that quirky little car.
Brett.

Last edited on 08-02-2020 01:47 pm by Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Posted: 08-05-2020 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
noomg

Jag,

I don't think anyone here called you a fool, or even implied you were for asking a question about door locks. If you think this is persecution you should see the TR7 guys go at it on that message board. It can get nasty.

I looked at the Owner's Handbook and the function is as you stated. But looking at the handbook I see two things of interest; first the picture of the car shows an early model which looks like it has a lock on the passenger door, second the book shows it was printed in Oct/73 and reprinted in Oct/74. I doubt they updated the reprint just based on the different function of my later model door locks.

Also both of my doors locks work and function the same. I'd say not quite a 1/4 turn each way to lock or unlock. Now the trunk lock on the other hand turns a 1/4 only one way(clockwise)like your passenger door lock.

Based on this, I'd guess either the early cars used the same type of lock for the trunk and passenger door or a PO at some point installed a trunk lock barrel in your passenger door.

FYI, my car is a late model(Dec/74)and has only two keys; the long ignition key, and the short key which operates both doors, the trunk, and the glove box.

Posted: 08-06-2020 01:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Jagwire64

No worries. I'm not overly sensative and it is easy to find tone were there is none.

Still can't figure out the one lock. My car is late 74 as well. I have 2 keys. The lock turns easily clockwise. I can't figure out why it won't go anti-clockwise. Took it apart, cleaned and lubed...It seems like it is only supposed to go the one way. From what you say it should work like the drivers...I may take the cylnder to a locksmith.

I now have the dash pod out and all the gauges apart...Thankyou both for the help.

Posted: 08-06-2020 01:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Jag, I miss spoke in my last response, the Trunk and door locks share the same key, or are supposed to, and yes I just went and doubled checked the key lock tumbler should turn both clockwise and anti clockwise, so looks like your problem is the lock itself and not the system.
Brett

Posted: 08-06-2020 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
noomg

Jag,

A couple things to keep in mind, first it's British, let's face it continuity during production really wasn't their thing. Also most of these cars over the course of 40+ years have traveled a long and winding road and have gone through the hands of a number of POs who may or may not had some rather interesting ideas in the area of maintenance and restoration.

It would be nice if someone with an early model could chime in for comparison.

Since you've got your dash apart you might want to replace the dash bulbs, Delta sells a set that are much brighter than the originals, it really makes a difference.

Posted: 08-06-2020 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Paul Koehler

Mine is a tagged 11-74 and both locks function, what I perceive to be normal. Although in the 15+ years I have owned it, this would be the 1st attempt at observing function. Like stated above, it is pretty low on the list of must haves for a rag top.

The drivers side locks with a 1/4 turn CCW & unlocks 1/4 turn CW. The pass. side locks with a 1/4 turn CW & unlocks 1/4 turn CCW. So, in each case, the car locks by turning the key toward the front and unlocks opposite

My boot lock has always been a pain, so early on I opted-out for one of Pete's kits(NLA). It is a shame no one, to my knowledge has filled in the void left with Pete's passing, and come up with products that make owning a JH that much more enjoyable.

Neither of my keys opens/locks the glove box, so I just assumed it must have come from the bone yard.

I never leave valuables in the car(GPS, phone etc.) If its just a short time span like lunch or ice-creme it goes in the boot. If it is overnight, comes inside.

Current time is 11:12 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > new owner thrying to understand Door Lock function Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems