Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Installing a MSD 6AL with a petronix stich

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Installing a MSD 6AL with a petronix stich  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-26-2020 11:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
discogodfather

Pretty straight forward stuff in terms of the install of an MSD 6AL unit (this is the newer version with the built in rev limited that you tune with some wheels).

Here is the MSD diagram for the install:

Everything looks good but what about the tachometer. Tried called MSD and they put me on hold for 3/4 of a hour. My big question is- will this run my stock Smiths tach if I wire it up like this. I almost know the answer to the question is NO. So then do I need another scheme, possibly with the gray tac output wire? I also found some people called out for a 8910 or 8929 unit to get the right signal to tach, but how that would work is beyond me. Anyone have this project done?

I sure would love for this thing to just use the stock tach setup.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-26-2020 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tom Bradley

Never mind. What I was thinking will not work. If the system will not trigger the tach as is, I think you will be stuck unless the guys at the MSD manufacturers have some ideas. The problem is that there needs to be enough current flow change from the Pertronix being on and off for the tach to trigger. And that will depend on what kind of load the MSD unit puts on the Pertronix.

Last edited on 07-26-2020 08:57 pm by Tom Bradley

Posted: 07-26-2020 08:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tom Bradley

Last edited on 07-26-2020 08:51 pm by Tom Bradley

Posted: 07-27-2020 11:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

Converting the tach with one of these: https://www.spiyda.com/smiths-rvi-rvc-conversion-board.html is probably the best option. Has the positive side effect of reducing voltage losses to the coil and increasing reliability since you can eliminate several plug connections on the way from the ignition switch to the coil.

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-10-2021 07:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Distributorguy

The 6AL actually steals power from your HT ignition and won't result in more power produced. I've done the back-to-back dyno testing. If you want to upgrade to the MSD 7-series box, you'll gain power.
4 cylinders, especially small displacement ones, don't lack dwell time so adding multiple sparks is really just a trick. You need longer spark dwell, not shorter via capacitors in the MSd box.
If it won't fire your tach, then its not firing your coil properly either. Glitchy Chinese junk. Sorry.

Posted: 03-11-2021 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

Disco,

I installed an MSD with the Pertronix ignition several years ago and had the same problem you have, the tach wouldn't work. I found the remedy in the MSD install instruction booklet. It recommended purchasing a Chrysler dual ballast resistor that was used from '73 to '76. I installed it as per directions and it's been working ever since.

I did mine 20+ years ago and my instruction booklet is dated 6/97. You probably have a newer book which may not have this information included.

The install was a snap, MSD switched red to one side of the ballast resistor, MSD white from dizzy to the other.

To get the B/R I simply went to a Chrysler dealership and got one from the parts dept. Unfortunately that option is not open to you, you'll probably have to find it aftermarket. Also, I believe it was used on their vans.

Current time is 09:57 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Installing a MSD 6AL with a petronix stich Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems