Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > four speed tranny top cover issue

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Ralph H

Hi All
Here is a hear scratcher. I have just discovered the 6 small bolts holding the transmission top cover in place are loose and some are backed out 1/4 to 1/2 inch. WHY? or as I put it WTF? I can see the front two bolts I can touch one of them and get it tight and the other I can get snug but how do I get the other four bolts tight when I cannot see and barely touch them much less get a wrench on them? How much play is there to lower the transmission if I pull the transmission mount and the prop shaft? I see no evidence that the engine was ever out of the car (Car sat for 40 years and I replaced factory engine mounts myself). Does this fix require me to pull the whole engine and tranny out? Please somebody have a fix I have overlooked. Ralph

PS needless to say it was flowing oil all over the place on my first test drive.

Last edited on 07-06-2020 11:08 pm by Ralph H

Dakota123

Sounds like lowering the trans is the only way to get at the bolts, but you don’t have to pull the engine (of course, you’ll be 75% of the way there). The engine mounts should be fine — my 15-year-old mounts survived with the trans tail on the ground with no issues (engine mount nuts loosened). In addition to the propshaft, which you’ll want to leave engaged at the transmission side or it’ll puke oil, you’ll have to watch the exhaust— might need to disconnect at the aft end so it can swing with the engine. Watch the engine damper as well, might need to disconnect it.

Last edited on 07-07-2020 04:01 am by Dakota123

Ralph H

Thanks Dakota
Figured there would be a mess of work for this but better than pulling all the engine out. As you mentioned the exhaust(new so easy to open it up) and motor stabilizer. loosening the motor mounts makes sense and had not thought of them and hopefully there are no tight wires. What about cooling hoses is there enough play in them? Sounds like a winter project so looks like I will not be on the road this summer after all. :(

Last edited on 07-07-2020 01:13 pm by Ralph H

Dakota123

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with the hoses.

Sounds worse than it is, maybe a long weekend. Recently changed my engine, and I had it ready to pull in just a couple of hours, and back installed in a few.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems