Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
123ignition  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-18-2020 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jdenglish

The current version (2020) is programable. Has any one taken the plunge?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-18-2020 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

Been thinking about it, it's expensive. There is an outfit here in the USA which I guess is their US distributor, they seem to want around $600 with tax and shipping. I found their German distributor online, and even though it's coming from Germany it would be slightly less than $500.

It's strange- the USA website lists it as a replacement for a 23/25 or 43/45 Lucas, and dosen't mention lotus. The one on the German site says its specifically for the Lotus 907 *they say Esprit.

I contacted the company via email a few months ago (they are in the Netherlands) asking the very specific question about the oil sealing. They got back to me that they have many Esprit customers in the UK that have used it and had no leaks.

I was skeptical about this claim considering there is nothing on any Lotus forum anywhere that I can find where a guy has this dizzy and can vouch for it. My sneaking suspicion is that it would need to be modified with a seal and I have no idea if that can even be done given the nature of it's construction and the electronics. Still, 123's claims could be true, just have not been able to verify it.

I do like the unit because of the bluetooth complete adjust ability, but other experts have warned it kind of has a slow response and "ticks" in increments and isn't as smooth as a standard dizzy. Other than the ability to change your curve, it has no advantages. It dosen't allow the use of any ignition boxes, can't handle a low ohm coil (it requires at least 1-2 ohms, and from what I read isn't exactly a "high performance" spark amplifier.

It's basically a product that allows people to adjust their curves on cars that don't have original centrifugal advance units really available anymore (which is us). That's good, because if you don't have a good curve than no ignition box or high performance ignition components is going to mean much. I am still interested but wary of blowing $500.

I have read many reviews on forums and there are a few videos on youtube about the product in other cars and they all seem to give it a thumbs up, but again I don't think any of these guys are thinking in terms of max performance. It's more about convenience than anything else.

Posted: 05-18-2020 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mtechwim

I am installing one at the moment,

The extra seal is not pressend, but I als read on the Facebook page that they don’t leak.

Shipping and customs to the US will be expensive I’ll guess, maybe it’s an option if some one is on holiday in europ to take one back.

Posted: 05-19-2020 07:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Schorse

My triumph has a 123ignition but it's not programmable. It has 7 curves to choose from but it doesn't seem perfect (might be a carbs issue).
For the 907 I decided for a crank fired ignition (microsquirt) but I'm yet to install it.

Posted: 05-20-2020 04:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
subwoofer

Did you buy the missing tooth wheel for the crank from somewhere - as in made for the 907 - or did you build something from generic parts?

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-22-2020 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Schorse

Was going to buy it from Lotusbits but that's the only thing missing.

Posted: 05-28-2020 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
discogodfather

Any updates? Very interested it buying one of these.

Posted: 05-28-2020 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
mtechwim

This weekend fixing the carbs, and waiting for the Holley fuelpressure regulator.
Than i can try to start the car and see what’s happening.
So a little patience will be needed

Posted: 06-22-2020 03:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Sean Burke

I just installed one on my Jensen 907. The distributor in Nor Cal is Barry Spencer at Spencer Motorsports in Rohnert Park. He is a factory trained Lotus guy.

Posted: 09-19-2021 07:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
mtechwim

Engine is running fine now, only over 5000 rpm needs some tuning from fuel or ignition.

Cold start with choke is perfect, even after Months , hot start is fine to
idle is ok to, no stalling.

This winter i Will replaced the Stromberg for delortos, then i Will take a look at the fuel.

Current time is 04:12 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > 123ignition Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems