Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Front brake calipers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-07-2020 06:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
TXJH

I've been looking for something better for my front brakes.  The original calipers I have are hopelessly seized and new ones are rather expensive.  Wilwood's Dynapro Single calipers are twin piston, 3.25" mount, made for .38 thickness rotors.  It's dimensions are smaller than the originals, lots lighter and have similar pad area.  There are several places that have 2 calipers and pads for just over $250(Jegs, Summit, etc).  There will possibly be a need for spacing washers and a brake line thread adapter.  Anybody see any possible conflicts?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-08-2020 05:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
discogodfather

The JHPS calipers were very nice but they are discontinued. I have always steered clear of the off the shelf or custom applications so I can't give you a good answer on the Wilwoods.

A company in the UK called BCC makes a direct fitted system for around $650, but that's before shipping and I think the pads are extra too, depending on what you want. They look nice, similar to the JHPS ones but much more expensive. If I ever needed to get new calipers again I would go this route. I'm assuming they are like the JHPS calipers in that they have the right dimensions for everything- I know the JHPS's did have some problems with some wheels. But the dust shield and everything else was 100% bolt on and compatible.

Link:

https://britishclassiccarparts.com/products/jensen-healey-gt-front-caliper-kit

Here is what the JHPS calipers look (or looked) like:

Last edited on 05-08-2020 05:15 am by discogodfather

Posted: 05-08-2020 05:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
discogodfather

BTW, don't get the EBC "slotted" rotors (that are very expensive) that's in my picture. I reviewed them in another thread and it's silly for the price, way too expensive for just some engraved slots and dimples that probably do nothing. The stock is unfortunately the best you can get with the stock spindles.

Posted: 05-08-2020 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
gmgiltd

Have a look at this previous post - my GT was the prototype and they have been on the car for nine years with no issues. I believe HiSpec now do an electric parking brake for the rear calipers.
http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1497&forum_id=6&page=1

Gordon

Posted: 05-08-2020 05:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
TXJH

Thanks for the information.  I have been over every post here I can find for improved braking.  I got plans for the rear disc brakes from jomac and just got the parts in yesterday.  I have a very long term project that has been invigorated since I semi-retired the first of the year.  I'm trying to do low cost upgrades on some things to have more money for the engine/trans. 
13x7 aftermarket alum wheels came with the car and I don't think 4 piston calipers like the JHPS/Outlaw M16 will fit.

Thanks for all the forum posts, it has made my work on the JH so much easier
Brian

Posted: 05-08-2020 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
gmgiltd

Hi Brian,
The kits were not From JHPS or Outlaw but from HiSpec in the UK. I specified max size vented disc to go inside 15" wheels but they do kits for standard 13" - same calipers but smaller vented discs.
I had already done the high comp injected 2.2 - really did not want to bury it into the back of a transit van which could probably out brake the standard setup.
Gordon

Posted: 05-08-2020 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
discogodfather

TXJH wrote:

13x7 aftermarket alum wheels came with the car and I don't think 4 piston calipers like the JHPS/Outlaw M16 will fit.

They fit inside my 13x7's miraculously with about 3mm of clearance. These are Revolite's from JBW.

Of course these are -7 offset, so fender flares are probably necessary.

Posted: 05-09-2020 12:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
TXJH

I will have to do some more measurements to see if the 4 pistons will fit.  I'll get the biggest I can that will fit the 13x7 wheels.  I'm going to try to keep to my budget as best I can, and that cancels the Hi-Spec system for now.  Maybe later?
Are the tires on your 13x7's 205/60-13's?  I haven't seen any that size other than Toyo DOT race tires. 
Thanks againBrian

Posted: 05-09-2020 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
discogodfather

TXJH wrote:
I will have to do some more measurements to see if the 4 pistons will fit.  I'll get the biggest I can that will fit the 13x7 wheels.  I'm going to try to keep to my budget as best I can, and that cancels the Hi-Spec system for now.  Maybe later?
Are the tires on your 13x7's 205/60-13's?  I haven't seen any that size other than Toyo DOT race tires. 
Thanks againBrian

Yes, these Radail T/A's seem to be one of the only street tires available. Fits great. Really not a bad tire at all. There is also another tire called the Vredestein Sprint Classic but it's even more expensive. Years ago on another set of western 13x7's I had I ran the old Comp T/A's in a 235/50 profile, which was really nice. 205 is a little thin but it's fine for the street.

Tons of R compound tires, literally any size you want between 205-245 in 13 inches, some very cheap. What I do is have a set of wheels with the Radials and then have a spare set with the R compound for track stuff.

Check out JBW, they have many many sizes of 13x7's meant for original Mini's and they seem to do well on the JH. The Revolites have a completely flat back surface and transition to the rim at 90 degrees which helps for the caliper clearance. Not sure about the others but they have many many nice styles, I had my imported from the UK by Mini-Sport USA and it was about $500 for a set shipped.

Posted: 05-09-2020 03:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
discogodfather

gmgiltd wrote:
Have a look at this previous post - my GT was the prototype and they have been on the car for nine years with no issues. I believe HiSpec now do an electric parking brake for the rear calipers.
http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1497&forum_id=6&page=1

Gordon

That's a really nice kit. A project for another time! The main problem with these dinky stock rotors is their lack of internal venting.

But these will only work on 15" wheels, correct? Are those 15" minilites?

Posted: 05-09-2020 04:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
gmgiltd

The wheels are 15" VTO from the club store, tyres are 195-55 x 15 Pirelli P7 (same radius and slightly wider than OEM). As above the original kit was for the OEM wheels at 13". I decided to go for 15" at the time because of the lack of availability of good tyres with the correct speed rating in 13".
One major difference between the HiSpec front calipers ad most others is that they are radially mounted ( bolted from the outside towards the wheel spindle to eliminate the side load and flex you get with lugs)
Gordon

Current time is 11:39 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Front brake calipers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems