Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > I think I just got an upgrade!

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
noomg

I was in a parking lot when a guy on a bike came up to me and asked, "Is that a Triumph?" That was a first for me generally the question is "Is that an MG?", which is why my license plate is NOOMG. Am I going to have to change it to NOOTR?

Who knows, maybe next time I get upgraded to a Jag.

Tom Bradley

The most common mis-identification I get is that it is a Triumph Spitfire. It even happened from a guy who owned a Spitfire, though to be fair, it was late at night and he was not an enthusiast, just a car collector. A Spitfire is a cool car, but hardly an upgrade from a JH. An XKE, on the other hand...

noomg

Tom,

You're right, a Spitfire is certainly NOT an upgrade from a J-H, I was considering being mistaken for a Triumph an upgrade over being mistaken for an MG. If I had to choose between a Spitfire and an MG, I'd be driving a Spitfire.

The J-H does to be fair does bear a family resemblance to the Spitfire. Although the J-H would be the much more muscular, big brother of the Spitfire.

discogodfather

If you're getting people calling it an MG or a Triumph you have people that at least can ID it as British. Every time I am out and about with it people just stare with a "deer in headlights" look at it and wonder. I once had a guy ask me if it was a first generation Miata.

Seriously, no one knows what this thing is. We should all start selling our cars for $100,000, because no one has this.

I remember in the 90's in high school seeing a few around town here and there, and that's SF- the heart of JH sales. I haven't seen one on the road in 15 years around here. I still see Triumphs and MG's all the time.

I know 7500 came to the USA, but these days how many are left? Maybe less than 1000? Hardly see any on Ebay, a few here and there on other car sites for sale from time to time.

Just finished reading Browning and Blunsden's "The Jensen Healey Stories". Amazing how Qvale was centering US distribution out of SF, really cool for me given my roots here.

I feel a kinship with the Lotus guys more than any of the other Brit car groups. They know the engine well, and are open to getting into it on that level. Most of the Jag, MG, and Triumph guys seem distant. They are probably jealous of the all aluminum dual overhead cams, honestly.

I did know 1 guy with an interceptor once, but he was totally uninterested in the JH.

noomg

disco,

It is amazing with the performance and rarity that you can't seem to give these cars away. The TR6, MGB, and Spitfire to name just a few all command high prices and yet the J-H will outperform just about anything in the Brit car inventory while being roomier and more comfortable. It's a real puzzle.

From time to time I've been on Spitfire and GT6 message boards for one reason or another and mentioned the possibility of upgrading inexpensively to a J-H, they acted like I was crazy.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems