Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
10517 2.2 upgrade  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 04-10-2020 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Matthew10571

With everyone in the US staying home, I decided to do something with my spare engine.  I am going with my spare engine because I know it has a rear main lip seal.  The engine in my car now is not the original but I don't know what rear main seal it does have, and is leaking as we speak!  So while I am building it I still have my car to drive around.   I have it disassembled for inspection and investigating the build parts, machine work and that stimulus check (which might just cover the tax on the final cost)!  I called a few places for parts prices and it seems JAE parts in Santa Barbara has everything I need at a good price.    After talking with Joe I'm finding out the Jensen/Lotus world is pretty small.  Everyone he mentioned I know on Facebook (as much as you can know someone on FB that is)!  Well I will keep everyone posted!  Bye for now!

Last edited on 04-10-2020 03:17 pm by Matthew10571

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-10-2020 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Esprit2

Matthew,
Add ten-pinning to your list of machining jobs. The narrow 907 block & main bearing panel were stiff enough for the short-stroke crank and modest power output (okay for the street, marginal for racing). The long-stroke 2.2 crank brings more vibration along with it, and most people who invest in the conversion also go for more power. In that case, the stock 907 block & MBP are not stiff enough. For the 910 & 912, Lotus went with a wider and significantly stiffer MBP.

The slender 907 has one locating ring dowel at the front, and one at the rear. The wider 910/ 912 added a third one at the middle. You can significantly increase your 907's rigidity by putting a ring dowel around the base of every main stud. There are ten main studs, so it's called ten-pinning.

A 'good' machine shop will place the ring dowels as accurately as possible, and mirror the pattern accrately on the MBP. But perfection is absolute, and invariably it all ends up 'off' by a tiny amount that can't be ignored. So, after ten-pinning, the block & MBP must be align-bored together.

However, boring oversize is a problem, since over-size OD bearing shells are becoming unobtainium. It would be unwise to align-bore oversize unless you already have a set of over-size bearings in hand.

As an alternative, fly-cut a little off the mating faces of both the block & MBP... like 0.005-0.010" per side. As a result, the bore becomes an undersized football shape. Now align-bore it back to the standard round diameter on the original centerline. Choose a skilled shop to do that work.

That process shortens the distance between the cam and crank centerlines. That introduces more slack into the timing belt loop by twice the depth of the cut taken on the bottom of the block. As the tensioner pulls that extra slack out of the belt loop, the cam sprockets rotate a few degrees in the retard direction. Not enough to be a concern for a street engine, but a racer might want to invest in adjustable cam pulleys in order to get the cam timing spot-on.

On the other hand, Lotus' current composite head gasket's compressed thickness is about 0.5mm / 0.020" thicker than the original steel-asbestos-steel head gasket, and that increases the distance between the cam & crank centerlines. That gives the opposite affect of advancing the cam timing a few degrees.

The net effect is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. The amount of retard due to milling the bottom of the block is typically less than the amount of advance due to the gasket's greater crushed thickness. And as I understand it, the various aftermarket clones of the composite gasket have different crushed thickness... complicating the calculations... ie, what values do you use?

In the end, for a street engine, I recommend that you don't sweat it, let the milling retard deal with the gasket advance, then wait to see what the net affect is in the end. For a street engine, don't sweat it unless the pedantic you simply can't sleep at night as a result.

Back in the mid-1990s, I built a 2.2 converted 907 hotrod that put out about 230 very streetable Hp (used non-adjustable Lotus cam pulleys), rev'd to 8000 rpm, and I flogged the crap out of it autocrossing. There were never any bearing issues due to lack of stiffness in the ten-pinned 907 block & MBP.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 04-10-2020 06:38 pm by Esprit2

Posted: 04-11-2020 05:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
discogodfather

You and me both brother! I'm not going the 2.2 route but have the engine apart to rebuild and tweak this and that.

There was a guy on ebay a month ago that had a 2.2 crank for sale for only $1800, it was a deal, brand new kit.

I saw a Talbot Sunbeam 2.2 rally engine go on bringatrailer about a month ago, it was right in my back hard too. I think it went for $3700 which was not bad at all.

Amazing how much work gets done when there is nothing else to do......

Keep us posted.

Posted: 04-11-2020 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Matthew10571

Discogodfather:  It looks like your backyard is close to mine!  I live about 2 1/2 hours from you.  I am originally from Pacifica!

Current time is 07:40 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 10517 2.2 upgrade Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems