Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Rejen Leather Seat Kit  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-18-2019 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
noomg

It's not an actual kit rather the pieces I ordered to make up a seat reupholster kit; seat covers, foams, webbing. The package arrived yesterday, it's like Xmas in October.

For those of you who are interested this was my experience with Rejen. Most of my contacts with them were e-mails and one phone call to actually place the order. They responded within 24hrs to my e-mails and were very knowledgeable and easy to deal with.

The cost, including shipping, was about $1500.00, after I placed my order it took about 3 weeks to arrive. I was very pleased with the quality of the shipment and the overall experience.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-29-2019 03:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

I'm anxious to get started on the seats now that I've got everything I need but I'm being delayed with the unexpected wiring harness replacement. Hopefully I'll get that problem squared away in a week or so.

Posted: 11-11-2019 11:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

Well, the wiring harness done, not for the faint of heart make sure you're correctly fused. I'm getting back to the seats, I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted: 11-22-2019 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

With the wiring harness sorted out I've been really enjoying having 19661 back on the road. So I can drive the car during the seat refit project I'm doing one seat at a time. I'm doing the driver's seat first since it's in the worst shape, in the meantime I'm using the passenger seat on the driver's side.
I stripped the seat to the frame so it could be cleaned and repainted and checked and lubed the seat tilt mechanism, not sure it's something an upholsterer would do which is why I elected to do it myself.
Also if you plan to redo your seats I'd highly recommend the webbing kit from Rejen, the quality is excellent and one kit does both seats, backs and bottoms.

Posted: 11-30-2019 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

I've just finished the seat bottom of the driver's seat and it looks awesome in the car, there's just nothing like leather in a British sportscar, totally worth the added expense. I've finally figured out how to glue the seatback cover to the foam(I don't know how it was done at the factory), I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up enough to glue.

If you're thinking about rebuilding and recovering your seats I think I'd start with the passenger seat first, it'll be the better of the two seats, which will give you a better idea of how the seat was originally put together.

Posted: 12-02-2019 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Tom Bradley

In my car the cover was never glued to the foam. It was originally fastened in place using circular clips to hold it to the seat frame. When I had the covers professionally replaced they discarded the clips :-( and glued the covers to the frame instead. In both cases the seat foam was not glued to anything but held in place by the seat covers.

Posted: 12-02-2019 03:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noomg

Tom,

All I can speak to is the experience with my car, maybe someone with more experience, like Bruce can chime in. The seat back and bottom covers were both glued to the foam using an H pattern to hold the covers down into the middle of the foam valley, otherwise even when pulled tight the cover just floats over the valley. On the seat frames the covers were glued to the frames and finished with the clips. My car is a late '74 maybe they did things differently during different times in production, they are British after all.

Posted: 12-04-2019 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
noomg

I just finished and installed the driver's seat, it looks and feels great. The main difference between the new and old seats is with the new foam and seat straps I'm now sitting about 2 or 3 inches higher in the cockpit than with the old broken down seats. While it'll take a bit of getting use to I imagine this is how the original owner sat in the car when it was new. Now on to the passenger seat.

Posted: 12-15-2019 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
noomg

OK, seats are done and installed, they look great and the leather is well worth the price of admission. As usual the second seat went smoother and faster than the first. Now on to the next project---The door panels, they used to be serviceable but now with new carpets, floor mats, and leather seats they look awful.

Attachment: Car Seats 1.jpg (Downloaded 153 times)

Posted: 01-08-2020 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
noomg

Update on the interior refit. I just ordered new door panels for the interior. I went with leather again for color matching purposes, and I really like leather in British sportscars. The new panels will cost around $700 and probably arrive at the end of the month.

Rejen also offers a kit for all the additional side and rear panels. I opted to stay with the original panels since they're in good shape and not all that visible.

I think with the installation of the new door panels that should finish the interior restoration, fingers crossed.

Posted: 01-16-2020 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
noomg

Nothing really new to post, I'm still waiting for the arrival of the new door panels. Just that for no particular reason I pulled the Jensen out for a drive to exercise it and charge up the battery, normally about 15min but I was enjoying the drive so much I found myself staying out for a long time and trying to think up errands I could run so I could stay out longer. The Jensen-Healey is simply a fun car, it's amazing that more people don't know that.

Posted: 03-04-2020 05:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
noomg

I just received notice from the shipping company that my new door panels are on the way, they should arrive on 3/9, Christmas in March! FYI, it took 2 months for the door panels and about 3 weeks for the seats to arrive from Rejen. Updates and pictures(hopefully)to follow.

Posted: 03-13-2020 03:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
noomg

I just got the new door panels, they look really nice. It ended up taking 9 weeks from date of order. A couple of things to note if you go with Rejen. Remember to order the covers for the armrests, they're sold separate and cost about 60 bucks for both(leather). The panel snaps are included with the panels. Not included are the door lock unit, the inner wipe seal, and the interior light on the passenger side.

The hardboard panel has a hole for the original speaker but not in the covering material(leather in my case), which gives you the option to relocate the speakers elsewhere and leave the panels uncut. I have oversized aftermarket speakers which I don't think are going work with the new panels. I think I'll try to find smaller, closer to stock speakers.

Posted: 03-13-2020 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
redracer

I put 6 1/2" (POLK) ones in the kick panels and matching tweeters in the upper door panel. The original speaker holes have cover plates but no speaker behind them

Posted: 03-15-2020 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
noomg

Bruce,

So let me see if I've got your speaker arrangement correct. You're running four speakers, two in the kick panels and two not in the original door panel speaker holes. Did you need to cut the metal behind the kick panels to fit the speakers? Also since you're not using the original door panel speaker holes are your tweeters located front or back on the panel?

The reason I ask is my car came to me with butchered door panels and center console. Back in the '70s 4 channel stereo with graphic equalizers were all the rage. Other than this "upgrade" the car was stock, of course nothing worked and two speakers were missing. I'm probably going to stay stock but the idea of your kick panel speakers intrigues me.

Posted: 03-15-2020 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
redracer

Yes,you will need to cut out the appropriate metal; be sure to put some of the "foam" buckets in there(while you're there, be sure to POR15/MASTERCOAT/KBS the inner fenders at least 6" up the sides).
The tweeters are mounted in the upper foasm part of the door panels; zi had to "perF"(put small holes) in the vinyl. You could buy some "screen" type material of get/borrow a "PERF tool that the stereo install shops have.

Posted: 03-23-2020 10:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
noomg

The door panels are in and now I'm finally done with the interior. Well, done-ish. For speakers I had a set of original speaker covers from my TR7 and I got a pair of 5 1/4" Pioneer speakers that fit original holes. I choose Pioneer because they were the only ones I could find that weren't made in China, nothing to do with the virus it's just that China makes crap.

The new panels look, fit, and smell great! I can't say enough about Rejen, the interior is now nicer than when the car sat on the showroom floor. At this point normally I'd say "now on to the next project" but right now I can't really think of one!

Current time is 09:16 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Rejen Leather Seat Kit Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems