Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
pokeyjoe

I just bought a 74 and recently discovered that the floors under the carpet are wet (and rusty, of course). The documents in the glove box were dry, but they were wrinkled up like they had been wet in the past. I currently have the pedal box out (brake work) and will clean it all up and reseal it.

Any common places for me to address for water ingress? I'm thinking the previous owner left it out in the rain (top down), but I want to make sure I get everything repaired.

The floors (pans) are still solid. I'm going to treat them with POR15.

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Pedal box is a major contributor to water ingress along with the seal at the top of the window and convertible top, after that it would be holes from rust or drilled from PO's.
Brett

chrisl

Have a good look around the battery box area too; mine had some leaks coming in from underneath it as water seemed to pool in/around that spot.

pokeyjoe

Thanks, I'll check the battery box.

redracer

Glad to see you're PORing the floors; get a can of the spray mix that has the flexible "hose" with the nozzle on the end to get into your rockers(KBS: https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Cavity-Coater.html ). POR & Mastercoat may have similar products.
Be sure to remove the inner fender covers(there are five #2 pozidriv screws) i.e. the 2 covers BEHIND the front wheels and the 2 covers in FRONT of the rear wheels. Coat at least 6" up as well as the top of the rockers.
I've seen POR patch up holes the size of a quarter--just be sure to put a good backing on if that's your way to go.
best to your project, bruce/Red Racer

Tim Murphy

The air intake for the heater in front of the windshield. Washing the car or a heavy rain will cause water to get into the vent and then leak into the drivers compartment. Main reason for the interior floors rusting IMO.

noomg

Joe,

The first thing I'd do is get rid of those damned rubber mats. If the car gets wet and you don't pull everything out to dry the water can sit under those mats for months even though the car seems dry. That's why the J-H in particular has a problem with rotted floor boards.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems