Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Main Wiring Harness Replacement

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Main Wiring Harness Replacement  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-08-2019 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
noomg

Thought I'd start a new thread since I've really gotten beyond bodywork and paint on this project. I fried the harness when the cigar lighter shorted out. Normally it would have just blown a fuse but unfortunately the PO had installed a 30 amp AGC fuse instead of the Brit fuse which is equal to about 17 amp.

After fooling around for a couple of weeks I realized the only way to get at the old harness is to completely disassemble the dash and the console. So now I've got everything out to the firewall. Now I can clearly see the beast staring back at me. Next step is to start labeling and dis connecting the old harness, the adventure(nightmare)continues.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-08-2019 03:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

Oh, just an FYI for guys doing restoration reassembly in this area. Install windshield first then the dash. I did the dash first because I thought dash access would be better without the windshield in place. I was right but it made windshield installation extremely difficult and there's a risk of cracking the windshield.

Posted: 10-13-2019 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
noomg

The harness replacement continues. As with any big project time has to be taken to address some side issues. In this case some cleanup, touchup painting, and replacing some rusty hardware with stainless steel. I've laid out and labeled the new harness which gives me a good idea of how it goes in and what goes where. I'm starting with the passenger side door, disconnecting the old replacing it with it the new and working my way to the center console.

Posted: 10-13-2019 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

One interesting thing that's coming out of this project is as I'm pulling out the old harness I'm discovering where some of these mysterious harness leads which disappear into the body go and what they're connected too. Of course there are some leads whose function remains unknown.

Something I learned, the flat seat switches that were part of the original seatbelt interlock system, is that there was one for each seat rather than just for the passenger seat as I thought. At some point, someone(possibly the original owner)clipped the leads and removed the switch. I'm just curious, does anybody still have a functioning seatbelt interlock system?

Posted: 10-16-2019 03:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

Just something I found interesting, on the original harness about in the middle is a green wire with a black connector with no apparent purpose just sticking out of the harness. So I checked the new harness, sure enough green wire, black connector with no apparent purpose!

Posted: 10-18-2019 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

I've just gotten the old harness out, boy that's a lot of plugs! I've now gotten a look at where the fuse box used to be, for some reason it disappeared and a PO replaced it with three inline fuses(30amp)and called it good. Unfortunately Delta doesn't have a replacement so I'll have to look around to find a suitable generic fuse box.

Posted: 10-19-2019 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
redracer

I believe I replied to your request for a wiring harness some time ago, and for $100 for one in very good condition, that would include the fuse box.
I don't know if your "new" one is the main harness only, but usually one pays for the 3 separate ones, the large main one, the engine bay(many were replaced due to fires), and the gauge panel.
btw, the wiring diagram for the "later" cars is incorrect. It still shows a white wire going to the fuel pump(unfused) whereas the correct "later" one would show a green wire(#2/middle fuse) going to the pump. I'm not sure how many other "incorrect" items there are in the diagram, but at least it gives a basic routing of the wires.
cheers, bruce

Posted: 10-19-2019 05:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
noomg

Bruce,

You did indeed respond to my query about a replacement wiring harness, which was much appreciated, thank you. This was something I puzzled over for some time, a good used harness(inexpensive)or a new one(very expensive). I finally chose to go new for two reasons. One was the realization of the magnitude of the job once I got into it. The other was as I removed the original harness some of the connectors were disintegrating in my hands and some of the undamaged wiring had become quite brittle.

Thanks for the heads up on the wiring diagram, the one I have been using came with the car and shows a white wire to the fuel pump, however the it runs directly to the #2 fuse. I am finding a few discrepancies between the new harness, the old one , and the wiring diagram, but I kind of expected that.

Posted: 10-19-2019 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
noomg

As I'm sorting through the new and old harness labeling as I go I've noticed something odd(it's British, go figure), the new harness which is for the '74 has the 12 pin plug for the seatbelt interlock control box but the old harness doesn't, not only that but it doesn't look like there was ever a seatbelt control box installed. Instead there are two of the individual buzzers. Delta sells the control box, so I'm wondering if I should order one or just go ahead and jump the #11 & #12 pins and call it good.

Posted: 10-19-2019 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
redracer

just short #11 & #12 and as you said, you'e "good to go"

Posted: 10-20-2019 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
noomg

Bruce,

You were right about the unfused white wire running to the fuel pump, when I took a closer look I noticed the white wire runs to the hot side of the #2 fuse and exits the same side effectively taking the fuse out of line, I'm not sure why they didn't just attach it to the other side of the fuse.

Posted: 10-20-2019 05:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
redracer

Not sure if you're talking about the wiring diagram, your old harness, or the new one you just got?
"WHITE" means it goes after the ignition switch and is "UNFUSED".
GREEN mean it goes through the ignition switch and THEN goes though a fuse.
Your new harness better have the green wire going through #2 fuse and back to the fuel pump. If the new harness still has the white wire going to the fuel pump, I would return it.

Posted: 10-20-2019 11:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
noomg

Sorry about the confusion, I was talking about the wiring diagram. I believe the new harness has a green wire, which is fine but I already have an in line fuse I installed at the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump shortly after I got the car with a Facet solid state pump, with no fuse box and wires everywhere I had no idea what was fused and what wasn't, so the in line fuse was precautionary.

Posted: 10-24-2019 10:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
noomg

I just got two wiring diagrams('73,'74)from Delta today. Neither one looks anything like the one that came with the car, I believe the one that came with the car came with the car from the factory. I'll cross reference the three, hopefully they'll answer more questions than they create.

The project is moving along I've got the fusebox installed and the wiring pulled though to the engine compartment and to the front lights and horns.

Posted: 10-28-2019 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
noomg

After comparing the three wiring diagrams(W/D)and the two wiring harnesses(W/H)it seems clear that this is a typical British car, which is to say not typical at all.

The car which is a late '74 build, Dec 30 to be exact, has no interlock/buzzer combo control box and the original W/H has no plug to support a control box. The new W/H has a control box plug as shone in the '74 W/D. So it seems as though my '74 car had a '73 W/H installed for some reason.

Posted: 10-28-2019 07:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
pokeyjoe

So it seems as though my '74 car had a '73 W/H installed for some reason.

That's easy. It was on the shelf.

Posted: 10-29-2019 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
noomg

You might be right Joe, it is British after all.

Well I've finally gotten the W/H in place and the last of the old W/H out. It doesn't mean I'm anywhere near finished though, I've still got to hook up everything in the trunk and behind the dash then check everything and reinstall the interior and hope everything works!

Posted: 10-30-2019 01:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Use dielectric grease on all your connections for a trouble free future.
Brett

Posted: 10-30-2019 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
noomg

Now you tell me, at this point the W/H is in place and everything hooked up except for the dash area, I'm going to tackle that today.

Posted: 10-30-2019 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I'm just passing along some good info, so you tell me if you want it or not.

Current time is 11:30 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Main Wiring Harness Replacement Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems