Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Lost keys, key code under ignition lock assembly

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lost keys, key code under ignition lock assembly  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-19-2019 04:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
TommyV9

Good morning all. I've been working on replacing my Stromberg's with Dellorto's and during the process upgrade my ignition from points to a Petronix Igniter II. Got the Pertronix in yesterday and was ready to set the static timing and.... I can't find the keys! I've never lost a set before.

Maybe they will show up, but in the meantime, one of the guys on the FB group, Gregory Moore, said that there should be a key code on a piece of tape under the ignition lock assembly on the steering column. He said he can cut me a new key with that code, which is a great option.

Can someone give me the basics on how to get to that and remove it? I thought I could remove the lower dash on the driver's side (left hand drive) but there was a screw hidden by the center dash section with the radio in it. Hmm, maybe I'm going about this wrong and just need to ask. Should I go at it by removing the steering wheel. Pretty embarrassing! TIA, Tom

Last edited on 08-19-2019 04:11 pm by TommyV9

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-19-2019 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

IIRC on the bottom clamp of the ignition key bracket should be 4 numbers...Delta can make you keys to match that number.

NEVER EVER have only one set of keys to any car....I always have a spare set on a key board in my shop. one set for each car....

Frank

Posted: 08-19-2019 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

The column will "drop down" a bit after you remove the obvious bolts & screws holding it in place(advise photoing it beforehand for easier reinstalling).
You will need to drill a small hole in the center for each of the two break-off bolts holding the aluminum column lock in place for(a small ease-out should be fine as there is not much force holding the bolts in); 5/16 allen bolts fit perfectly in when reinstalling.
As Frank said, the 4 digit # should be magic-marked on the bottom half of the two pieces and can be easily "erased" by any cleaner, so be careful there.
bruce

Posted: 08-19-2019 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
TommyV9

Thanks guys! Yes, Frank, I usually do, but only got one set with the car and really have only driven it around the block a couple times. The keys are in the house, but where is the issue. The key ring was very small and had a tendency to get pulled off the key rack when grabbing another set. We have a 2 year old granddaughter that is very active, she may have found them and carried them off.

Bruce, do I have to remove the lower dash under the steering column to get it to drop enough? The bolts come out the top, right? If I have to remove that lower dash, do i have to remove the stereo or climate controls to get at the last screw, I guess?

Thanks
Tom

Posted: 08-19-2019 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
redracer

Yes; the lower dash has a metal backing that will allow partial loosening of those bolts to slide it out, but there are also the #2 pozdriv screws that need to come out--not as difficult as I may have made it sound.

Posted: 08-19-2019 09:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
TommyV9

Great news, I found my keys. They were in the door pocket of my daily. I had checked there once, but not well enough! Thanks for the replies. BTW, I already went by the lock shop and got a second set made!

Posted: 08-19-2019 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

Good news! Will you..and your car...be able to join us for the Jensen East 2019 meet in St. Louis next month????

Frank

Posted: 08-20-2019 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
TommyV9

Frank,
I’m trying to arrange sing there part of the time. Not sure my car will be ready. I have a commitment Sat until 12 or 1 and live a couple hours away.

Current time is 10:37 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Lost keys, key code under ignition lock assembly Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems