Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Turn Signal replacement ?????????

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Turn Signal replacement ?????????  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-19-2019 12:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ralph H

Hi I tried searching but could not find full answer. What year MGB turn signal will drop into a 1974 JH. I understand it will need some modification to fitment to work 100%. but no mention of any wiring issues so is it a direct plugin also. Help appreciated Thanks. Any other recommendations for replacement appreciated

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-19-2019 12:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

Moss Motors sells this...on mine, I had to exchange the plug as IFIC one is a female and one is a male...but that was no problem. Also the rotating collar in your original JH can be exchanged for the one in the MG unit...just be careful when doing this so when you remove the big silver plate,. that you do not let things fall out on the floor to be lost forever...

Frank

Posted: 08-19-2019 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ralph H

appreciate the reply but still need to confirm the corect year MGB switch. I did find a file on the JH facebook page that indicates a ‘77-‘80 MGB Turn Signal switch will work but this sort of concerns me as it is so much later than the 74 jensen.

Posted: 08-19-2019 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

Assuming that's the correct years(and I would need to check again) you will still need to "open" it up to change the rotating collar as Frank said; however, unless you have a spare to look at, little springs and pieces that stick to the metal cover plate(you'll need to swap in your wiper switch) can be troublesome.
I used to rebuild them(100s++) but now the black plastic itself has become too old/brittle to take the pins, etc. so I buy the "new" MGB/Midget ones and redo them to the J-H specs.
Mike D'Olimpio at DELTA has them done as well, so if you're not too sure about this "project" give one of us a call.
btw, you also will need to grind down the black plastic tab on the inner surface that gets clamped to our aluminum steering column; the Midgets had a slot for this piece so it would not rotate when placing pressure on either stalk.
good luck, bruce

Posted: 08-19-2019 07:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Rick in Miami

I seem to recall that I had to rearrange several wires in the MGB connector to match up to the JH connector.

Posted: 08-19-2019 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
redracer

Yes, that's correct. Just use the old harness to put the pins in the correct position. The stalk may also be shorter, and unless you're willing to totally take it apart and use the longer original one, I'd stick with that.
One problem I had about 10 years ago was that someone was putting larger male pins into the connector, so they would not fit the original female side. I talked to the distributor(Victoria British?, Roadster Factory?, Moos?) about this problem and was able to return them and ake sure they had proper ones to fit(Midgets & MGBs were affected as well).
I believe they have gotten this problem sorted out now, but make sure the male pins will fit before you start changing parts.
btw, I use a very small flat screwdriver(jeweler size) to push the tabs in to remove them from the quick connect.
hope this helps, bruce

Posted: 08-20-2019 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

On the Face book page Jensen-Healey in the files section there is a complete how to change over to the MGB turn signal, plus a whole bunch more info on all subjects JH.
Brett.

Posted: 08-21-2019 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ralph H

Thanks very much folks I put my hat out to our local club and have a NOS unit in the post on the way to me and a couple others on the way to act as test beds so I don't screw up the NOS unit. I have downloaded the very comprehensive how to file by Stephen Luckett (all 19 pages of it wow) from the FB page so I am all set.
Hopefully this will also return my low beam headlights to me as they went south on the last bodge-up rebuild I did.

Current time is 09:44 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Turn Signal replacement ????????? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems