Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Crazy no start issue for 73 JH # 12265

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Crazy no start issue for 73 JH # 12265  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-18-2019 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
cjwilson

Hey guys, trying to resurrect #12265 after 10 years of hiding in the garage. Had to rebuild fuel tank and repair a few pinholes. Once that was good, I put about a gallon of gas in and got her to fire. After a bit of tinkering and adjusting, it would run without assistance until I shut it off.

As of yesterday, the gallon of fuel was used up. It actually ran dry. I put 5 gallons in. Car wouldn't start. In the interim, I replaced a few vacuum lines around the carbs.

Still won't start. It turns over then fires right away, but will only run for about 1 second. No choke or gas petal manipulation makes any difference. I can see linkages moving when I pump and pull them.

I pulled each plug and they are getting fuel. I pulled the fuel line into the carb and let the pump flow into a jug. It's got plenty of flow. I didn't check pressure, but can.

I am thinking maybe both carbs clogged but am really not sure.

Anyone have any great wisdom they can bring to bear? I'm scratching my head!

Last edited on 05-18-2019 07:53 pm by cjwilson

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-19-2019 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tom Bradley

I think you are on the right track in suspecting a fuel problem. My guess is that the fuel inlets to the carbs are either getting clogged or stuck open so the engine is either getting fuel starved or flooded after the first second or so. Since you have run gas through the fuel line, it should be clean at this point, so you may only have to clean out the carbs. On the other hand, after such a long storage time, it would probably be best to buy the carb rebuilding kits and replace all the rubber bits to ensure decent reliability.

If you have Strombergs you can remove the top from one and check how the big flexible rubber piece looks. If that is OK, then the rest of the rubber parts may also be OK. Replacing the inlet needle valves I think would still be a good idea, though, since they tend to get sticky and unreliable after sitting for a long time.

Last edited on 05-19-2019 05:08 pm by Tom Bradley

Posted: 05-22-2019 10:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Rick in Miami

Sounds like coil is getting power from the starter circuit but not in the on position. Check for voltage at the coil with the ignition on. Perhaps ballast resistor is bad or disconnected. The 'on' circuit runs through the tach. Have you done any work under the dash that may have disconnected it there or at the starter switch?

Posted: 05-22-2019 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

Hey gang: this is "double listed" and was solved 2 days ago:

cjwilson

Hey Brett,

Thanks for answering. Yes fuel pressure is higher than I expected. Pump is newly purchased and installed. I purchased at a local "box" auto parts store and it was labeled as 3-4psi. I'll see about putting a regulator in line.

I think compression was registering lower than actual. Battery was a bit low while I was cranking. Carbs weren't open but I'm not too concerned with compression. I was just checking to see if I lost a cylinder...

Points.

And I found the problem. She's running great once again. It was indeed a loose wire in the 5 way connection mounted on the firewall. It was the white wire which supplies power to the coil from the key. It was still inside the connector but had backed out far enough to not make a connection.

Thanks!
Chris

Current time is 03:04 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Crazy no start issue for 73 JH # 12265 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems