Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
gas tank install  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-16-2019 12:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
74beans

I have re-installed the gas tank with rubber filler tube connected to the neck on the gas tank and through the body grommet. I cannot stretch this arrangement enough to force the metal gas filler tube with the gas cap into it. Is there another way I'm supposed to be doing this?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-16-2019 04:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

If you have one of the pre '75 filler tubes then opening the cap and use your finger or equivalent to get that fianl section in. Standard SOP is to have all the straps, hose clamps loose so the tank can be moved around a little(the rubber gets old & stiff causing this problem.
I always put a light coating of #2 Permatex on the outside of the metal tube to prevent water from entering. I also use the #2 on the donut-to-paint interface for the same reason(won't harm your paint).
If you have one of the later filler tubes that has the restriction inside(for unleaded gas which is almost all you can get now) either get an earlier tube or just keep working at it

Posted: 05-17-2019 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
74beans

Thanks for the reply. I'll use the Permatex idea. I think I figured it out. I installed grommet/donut(all new rubber pieces on original 74 filler neck and tank), without the filler hose(connected to tank) through it, and filler neck looks like it fits tight enough into grommet that no water leaks will happen. I will tighten filler hose to tank and filler neck with new clamps(no possibility of gas leaks).
I was trying to stretch grommet, with hose inside it, to a size they were never meant to be. Just the "not enough attention to detail" when taking things apart biting me. Maybe when I'm older I'll get some wisdom- not much time left though at 74.

Current time is 07:52 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > gas tank install Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems