Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Lockheed or Girling?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lockheed or Girling?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-04-2019 07:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Steve Duncan

If you had a choice between Lockheed or Giriling brakes on the rear axle, which would you choose and why?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-05-2019 03:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

Interesting choice:
For regular street use, one would prefer the Lockheed since they are self adjusting, unlike the Girling; however, for road racing the Girling was preferred since they could be adjusted so there is no drag from the shoes on the drum(Formula "V" racers do this since they are horsepower challenged).
But, the Lockheed were actually put on incorrectly(the position they are in for bleeding still has some air in it).
In 1996 at the Jensen national at the CAL/NEVA Lodge, there was someone with a nice prepared race car(don't remember his name; he was from Oregon or Washington)who had noticed this and had talked with someone from the old factory about it. Apparently, Jensen somehow got the drawings backward and the left plate should have been on the right & vise-versa(check it out with yours).
Maybe upgrade with some of the recent articles here?
bruce

Posted: 05-07-2019 03:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Steve Duncan

Thanks. Other opinions?

Posted: 05-08-2019 04:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Tom Bradley

I have been happy with the Lockheeds on my car: they are reasonably easy to work on and the hand brake holds better than other British roadsters I have known. There is also something to be said for keeping whatever was originally in the car--Lockheed from #14064 on and Girling before. That way there will not be any confusion about what parts to order if someone other than yourself ever has to work on them.

Posted: 05-10-2019 05:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
CDA951

Tom Bradley wrote: I have been happy with the Lockheeds on my car: they are reasonably easy to work on and the hand brake holds better than other British roadsters I have known. There is also something to be said for keeping whatever was originally in the car--Lockheed from #14064 on and Girling before. That way there will not be any confusion about what parts to order if someone other than yourself ever has to work on them.
Apparently the previous owner of #19250 missed that memo, as it has the earlier Girling brakes installed. :) That said, the Girlings are very easy to work on and adjust, and parts are readily available.

Current time is 02:08 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Lockheed or Girling? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems