Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Trunk Dynamat-Dynaliner  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-25-2019 02:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mechfeeney

I'm redoing the entire interior of my JH. The black carpet is completely rotted and I decided it was time for a complete overhaul. I ordered the brown carpet for the trunk from Delta ($240)...the cabin carpet is on back-order until the end of the month.

For starters, I gutted the trunk down to the sheetmetal. It is essential to take out the gas tank. The gas tank is easy to remove (in theory):
1. Remove the two straps
2. Remove the drain plug (under the car drivers side). Be sure to have a container to capture all of that precious petrol.
3. Remove the wire connections.
4. Remove the fuel line connections.
5. Remove the fill cap with the hose clamps.
6. Tilt the bottom of the tank towards the rear of the car and slide the empty tank out.

With the tank removed, I ripped out all of old carpet and insulation. I cleaned up the sheetmetal as best as I could with solvent and a putty knife. I then wiped everything down with windex.

I decided to Dynamat all of the surfaces (as most do). This stuff is amazing, but a bit expensive. $150.00 for a pack of 9x sheets. This will cover the entire trunk and you will have 2 sheets left over. I'm saving them for the cabin interior. I also purchased Dynaliner (1/2"). This stuff is a high-quality insulation foam for heat and noise that you install on top of Dynaliner. It's probably not necessary for the trunk, but I thought it would be a nice touch. I only used it for the floor of the trunk. 1/2" was a guess and it worked out well for me, but you might want to consider 1/4" because it makes the tank a bit snug to re-install. Nonetheless, it's compressible foam so with enough tweaking, the tank slid back in. I reinstalled the straps, drainplug, hose connections, and wiring.

Next up is carpet and I'll have a post about that later. I'm still debating what type of adhesive to use for the carpet.

Images here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UHH2kKN-OPwjzA_r7BKq9xIbvTERnZFd

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-25-2019 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

Mechfeeney,

Have you noticed a difference with the addition of Dynamat to the trunk?

Moss sells a good adhesive in a spray can that works well for carpet and vinyl interior pieces.

Posted: 03-25-2019 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mechfeeney

Hi noomg,

I'm still up on jack stands, so I haven't been able to test in on the road. I have done some preliminary knock tests and the results are great. The Dynamat does a great job damping out vibrations and is easy to apply on tight, curved spaces. The Dynaliner, being a thick foam, is even more of a vibration damper. The gas tank now fits very securely in the back. I'll let you know the results of a road test in time. I still have quite a bit of work to do before I can drive.

Posted: 03-27-2019 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

Mechfeeney,

I used Dynamat in the doors when I reassembled my J-H to give the doors a nice solid sound when closing. I also did the interior of my '67 El Camino which quieted the interior noticeably. I'm not sure how effective it will be in a roadster with all the ambient noise that comes with the top down or the non insulated vinyl top up. I'll be interested to see how much of a difference it makes.

Current time is 10:19 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Trunk Dynamat-Dynaliner Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems