Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Baby Tornado Side View Mirrors

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Baby Tornado Side View Mirrors  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-25-2019 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mechfeeney

My passenger side mirror broke and I decided to replace both sides. I purchased driver and passenger side view mirrors from Delta ($97.50each). They come with new plinths, fasteners, insert nuts, and a 2D rubber gasket. I replaced the plinths and fasteners, but reused the existing insert nuts. I also reused the old gaskets I had because they have a more 3D shape with a lip.

I've attached a link to some images of the kit and the installation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Uo-iKUEyZu2i7_8v8uGaRhAWazP9Z647

Last edited on 03-25-2019 02:29 am by mechfeeney

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-25-2019 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

The Baby Tornado is a great period correct upgrade for '70s cars, they're bigger, provide better visibility and (IMHO)look better as well. I've installed BTs on both my Jensen-Healey as well as my TR-7. While they've gotten rather expensive I still think they're well worth it. Back in the '80s you could find them at any A/P store for around $12.

Posted: 03-31-2019 10:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
flatlanderep

I have a 1973 that I bought 2 years ago and it has chrome mirrors that I want to replace. I am working on removing them but they seem to be attached from inside the door. Does anyone know if I have to remove the door panel and then the steel piece beneath the door panel?

Posted: 04-01-2019 06:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Frank Schwartz

I bought a pair of those Tornados and one broke..it's plastic....and plastic breaks

Moss motors has the stainless mirrors in right and left, both in the stainless/chrome...and black...and cheaper, too.

So now I have one baby Tornado in my junk box along with the broken one...wasted money.....

Frank

Posted: 04-01-2019 09:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
mechfeeney

Hi Flatlander,

If there isn't a setscrew on the outside of the mirror that seats the mirror to the plinth, then I think you have to access the inside of the door. If you remove the arm rest, window roller, door handle, and fasteners for the door panel, you should be able to access the fasteners holding the mirror. Behind the door panel, there are access holes for the interior of the door. You should be able to reach up into it to access the hidden fasteners for the mirror. Hopefully you wont have to remove the window mechanism.

Posted: 04-04-2019 02:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

Flatlanderep,

Side view mirrors of the period were generally installed with sheetmetal screws, not nuts and bolts, but we've all got stories of seemingly inexplicable things the POs did to the car. The good news is if you have to remove the door panel it's easy and should only take a few minutes. I'm not sure what steel piece you're referring to though. With the panel off and the window rolled up you should be able to access the fasteners.

Current time is 07:56 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Baby Tornado Side View Mirrors Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems