Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > convertible top installation instructions

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
convertible top installation instructions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-06-2019 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ralph H

Hi All I have searched the site to no avail. Wondering if there is a best practice step by step directions sheet for new convertible top installation. Something with all the little tips and helpers to make the instal go smoothly. It looks pretty straight forward but that is what I thought when I tackled my MGA top a couple years ago.Turned out not to be as simple as it looks. Any help and direction appreciated. I stripped and cleaned and painted the roof bows and have a new top purchased from Martin Robey laid out and the fit looks good so far.
cheers Ralph

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-06-2019 04:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

post "convertible top" in the "Search" tab at the top for help. The glue we used for the front bow is 3M "Fast Tack Trim Adhesive", #08031(also used on sew-up bicycle tires). Home Depot used to carry the "80 spray can(not sure if they still do) which was also used. The main feature is being able to reposition it, unlike pure contact cement which can NOT have the item repositioned.
When JENSEN was still in business, anew top from them came with the top already glued to a new front bow; I looked at all the tops I had from my cars(26+) to see where/how this was done. The part where the top meets the sew-on edges(triangular/pointed) goes right at the corner of the bow.
You may have noticed the 2 pieces of the bow spot welded; I highly recommend you grind so the two pieces are smooth all around, especially at the 2 corners where the tops would usually get torn first.(I even glue a small piece here before I glued on the top, for added longevity).
good luck, bruce

Posted: 03-06-2019 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ralph H

Thanks I searched with just the word convertible and got very little info adding the word top makes a huge difference

Posted: 03-09-2019 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Ralph H

Further to the top installation: Where does the fabric get trimmed along the front edge? I did not have any fabric on the frame when I got it so nothing to measure against. I have it glued on the curved top and around underneath already. But I have enough fabric to cover further on the wide flat section where the locking pins come thru and even enough to wrap around the thin edge and tuck the end out of sight. and there was a thin foam piece 3/4 inch wide where does this fit into the picture. Any help appreciated. Ralph

Posted: 03-09-2019 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
redracer

a photo would be helpful; but the front edge gets trimmed at the first 90 degree face so that when a rubber seal goes on it would hide the remaining part(it does NOT go down to the second 90 degree edge(just before the face that has the 2 locking levers)

Posted: 03-09-2019 06:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
redracer

btw, i do NOT use the hollow rubber bulb that came originally on the car as it does not keep the rain from coming in especially at the center(lock the front bow down and you will see a large gap in the middle when compared to the ends)

Posted: 03-09-2019 06:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ralph H

thanks Redracer It (the top) is covered in clamps as the glue dries right now. your explanation is perfectly clear. I have already glued it to the second 90 degree tiny downward slope and I initially though I would trim it there and not take it onto the face with the locking levers. but there is lots of fabric so would this be a problem to cover that surface also? I think it would look nice.

Current time is 09:43 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > convertible top installation instructions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems