Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > TR-6 Master Cylinder -Other options?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
TR-6 Master Cylinder -Other options?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-08-2019 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Steve Duncan

The TR-6 master cylinder seems to be everyone's go-to for replacement. I know it bolts right in, but have also read about fluid seeping out because of the angle of the  reservoir. Am wondering if anyone has purchased the Martin Robey "uprated" version and what their experience has been?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-09-2019 02:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

Just looked at Martin Robey's site for J-H master cylinders; these look exactly like the originals(not sure what "EX" means for the 2nd picture). The price is about $160 U.S. dollars(+ shipping), which is very good.
Recently, I have found the reservoirs for the original master cylinder are available(somewhere) but after a call to some Englishman working in the U.S., he did not seem to want to look into ordering 10 of them for me(?? not sure hwy). Anyway, have not investigated any further but may at some future point.
btw, this price from Robey is cheaper than the brass resleeved ones I have had done(not to mention the reservoir plus seal kit!!)

Posted: 01-09-2019 01:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Steve Duncan

Seeing the offer on their website was what prompted my inquiry. I'm wondering if any owners have purchased a unit and used it? Looks good, but is it as good as it looks?

Posted: 01-09-2019 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

I would certainly think so; no reason to sell it unless it works okay, but maybe call/email them if you want clarification

Posted: 01-10-2019 02:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Tom Bradley

I have not bought this particular item from Martin Robey, but I have bought others and been very happy with the quality. Nothing like the garbage Delta has been sending me. Also, when they left one part out, they sent a replacement with no argument. My only caution is that, if you need to contact them, call them. They don't seem to check their info@ email very often.

Posted: 01-16-2019 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noomg

Steve,

There's a reason the TR6 unit is "everyone's go-to", it works and it's cheap and readily available. After fussing with my leaky original for a number of years I replaced it with the TR6 unit at least 15 years ago and haven't given it another thought since, regular maintenance aside of course.

If you're worried about affect to resale due to non-originally, I wouldn't sweat it. Even original Jensen-Healeys are only getting 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a comparable Spitfire. The only category where the Spit outperforms the Jensen-Healey!

Posted: 01-17-2019 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
gmgiltd

Other alternatives are pre 89 Land Rover series 3 SWB but you need to check on the bore size as they have been rationalised to an intermediate size between the LWB and SWB - the larger size would give a hard pedal on a standard JH. I am running 4 wheel discs with 4 piston calipers and it suits that setup.
I also found this 20.6mm bore AP Lockheed master cylinder at Mini Spares in the UK which looks like it might work - I haven't tried it so can't confirm.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Brakes/Hydraulics/Master_Cylinders/GMC90376.aspx?041001&ReturnUrl=/shop/classic/Brakes/Hydraulics/Master~Cylinders.aspx|Back%20to%20shop
Gordon

Posted: 01-20-2019 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
chrisl

I put a TR6 unit on my GT about a year ago. It fits perfectly, no leaks. Here's what it looks like next to the stock version:

Attachment: Master cylinder comparison.JPG (Downloaded 61 times)

Current time is 01:34 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > TR-6 Master Cylinder -Other options? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems