Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > Best Choice for Stock Tires?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Best Choice for Stock Tires?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-05-2019 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Steve Duncan

Am interested in purchasing a new set of tires. Would like to go with stock size: 185-70-13. Care most about ride and balance (have had problems in the past with cheap tires not balancing). Grip matters somewhat. Mileage rating not an issue, limited use. All season would be good, but never really drive it in the wet. Not finding many options, so thought I would ask.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-06-2019 12:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
redracer

I've previously listed tires; please use the "SEARCH" tab at the top and type in "185-70 tires".
Both Vredestein and Pirelli. The Pirelli are the same CN-36 as our originals but now "V" rated instead of "H"!

Posted: 01-06-2019 02:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Steve Duncan

Thank you for linking me up to your previous post. Which one did you have on your car, Vredestein or Pirelli? Why did you choose one over the other?
I'm hoping to hear from other Jensen owner's firsthand experiences with regard to their tire choices . . .the good, bad, and ugly.
I looked further and found these potential "H" rated (for my actual driving, not sure the price of a "v" rating is warranted).
Has anyone drive any of these (or have additional recommendations):

Thunderer Mach1 R201

NANKANG CX668

AMERICUS Touring Plus

Radar RPX800

Comforser CF510

Posted: 01-06-2019 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
redracer

A few years ago, only the Vredesteins were available in a fairly high performance tire for both wet & dry pavement(the excellent Yokohama AVS were no longer available in 13" wheels).
The Pirelli only came available recently I believe(am not positive) for some pricey European car that people wanted to "CONCOURS". Maybe someone more knowledgeable about this resurgence can help with its history on the CN36.
I would have chosen the Pirelli had it been available when I got the Vredesteins.

Posted: 01-06-2019 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Sander

I don't race/risk my car(s) like I once did and find the Solus TA11 to be a safe, quite, comfortable and affordable tire. I have them on 3 cars .... tirerack.com has them for sale today for $72.07 ea. and discounttire.com has'em for $54.00!! I run with stock wheels, 185/70R13's.

Last edited on 01-06-2019 11:19 pm by Sander

Posted: 01-07-2019 12:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Steve Duncan

Thank you Sander. Have you had any trouble getting them balanced properly?

Posted: 01-07-2019 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Sander

We're lucky to have a good tire shop here in Atlanta that does a great job so happy to say no problems with these.

There was only one set of Pirelli tires the local guy couldn't balance that I took to Hendrix Wire Wheel in Greensboro, NC. They shaved the tires (and even balanced the drums) to smooth the ride out. (no kickback .... just an awesome shop!)

Posted: 02-03-2019 02:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
noomg

If you want to stay stock just about any tire available on the market will be fine since they all have to meet certain federal standards. One thing I think we sometimes forget is the Jensen-Healey is a great performance and handling car right out of the box so there's nothing wrong with keeping it stock. However if you're looking to upgrade performance, and it seems like most guys are, then a bigger set of wheels would seem to be the way to go. Not only do you get a wider variety of performance tires(cheaper sometimes too)it allows you the option of upgrading the brakes as well.

Your car, your choice.

Current time is 03:35 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Wheels > Best Choice for Stock Tires? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems