Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Removing the rear brake brake back plate

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Removing the rear brake brake back plate  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-25-2018 03:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JPJH

Hi All,

Perhaps a silly question, but can anyone shed light on how you can easily remove the rear brake back plates? It looks like you need to take the axle apart. I have removed the bolts holding it to the hub, and have removed all the Girling components from it, but not seeing how it comes off. I want to take this off to clean up and completely rebuild.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-27-2018 05:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Esprit2

JPJH wrote:It looks like you need to take the axle apart.You're right. Pull the axle shafts out of the housing. Or, just cosmetically clean & paint the entire axle assembly as a lump.

Regards,
Tim Engel

Last edited on 12-27-2018 05:12 am by Esprit2

Posted: 12-27-2018 07:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
NigelK

100% agree with Tim. Removing the half shafts can be a bit of a pain, if you don’t have a slide hammer. Two alternative methods which worked for me are 1) use an inverted brake drum loosely bolted onto the hub as a makeshift slide hammer (be careful not to damage the hub bolt threads though) or 2) hammer on a drift threaded through one of the holes in the back plate onto the inner surface of the hub. And remember to replace the gasket which sits between the hub retainer and the backing plate - this part is NLA so you either have to make your own or use liquid gasket. Hope this helps!

Current time is 01:29 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Removing the rear brake brake back plate Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems