Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stalling out at high speed  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-06-2005 10:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RC Smith

15517 seems to stall briefly when I reach speeds of 75 to 80+ mph. As soon as I back off the on the gas she runs fine. It almost sounds as if it is running out of gas. I have a pertronix ignition system, rebuilt and sync carbs. I am using a Purolator fuel pump...could this be the problem? The car runs fantasic other wise. So far I only have about 400 miles on her since bringing her back to life after 20 years. Any help is much appreciated.

RC Smith

14438 73

15517 74

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-06-2005 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mitch Ware

Have you checked/changed the fuel filter(s)?

Mitch Ware
1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670
1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 08-07-2005 12:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I've had a Facet/Purolator pump on my car for four years now and have not noticed any problems at all.  Mine puts out a steady 2.5 psi at the tee to the carbs.  But of course any device can fail in peculiar ways.

As Mitch notes, the usual cause for the problem you're having is a clogged fuel filter.  The quick and easy solution is to change the filter.  The long-term and more difficult solution is to remove all rust from the fuel system (primarily, the fuel tank).

If you don't have a filter just before the tee for the carburetors, even freshly rebuilt carbs can suffer from small rust particles coming from the insides of the fuel lines.  Usually these prevent the fuel inlet valve from closing, thus causing flooding.  Since the problem goes away when you lighten up on the throttle, though, it's not too likely that this is what's going on in your car.

Another possibility is that your fuel tank is too tightly sealed.  Here, removing fuel from the tank results in a low pressure there.  Eventually the pump is unable to withdraw more fuel, but starts working again as once some air leaks in.  You can prove or disprove this by unsnapping the fuel filler cap and making a test run.

Posted: 08-08-2005 01:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

RC, I ran into a similar problem after I put my Strombergs back onto my car this year, at high speed there seem's to be a loss of power but for everything else plenty, last year I had all sorts of power, I did replace my fuel filter's and even had my gas tank out to replace the sender, and upon inspection of the inside it was nice and clean, so dirt for me is not the issue, I've put it down to that I just dont have the carb's tuned in as good as they should be, and possibly the timing is off a degree or two, so if your filters are clean and you have enough PSI at the carb's you might want to try tweeking the ignition and then moving over to the carb's.

Just a possibility ................ Good luck ..........   Brett. 

Posted: 07-23-2007 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
sjensen24

I have been experiencing a similar problem.  I recently had someone install electronic ingition and new coil.  They also replaced the timing belt and so had to retime the car.

Since then, I have had intermittent problems with the car 'stuttering', particularly at high rpms.   Some days it runs fine after several miles; some days it takes longer to even out, and then it recurs randomly.  It also seems low on power.

I have enriched the carbs as far as they can go.  They are balanced.  The fuel tank was recently restored.  I have a fairly new facet fuel pump and two new filters.

New plugs and wires were installed.

THe car seemed to run fine before the modifications.

Any suggestions for what else might cause this problem?

Last edited on 07-23-2007 04:57 pm by sjensen24

Posted: 07-23-2007 05:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

RC,

I was running rich on my carbs and getting lack of power, once I started leaning them up a bit, the power came back, you dont want to go to far but to much gas slugs the engine.

Brett. 

Current time is 04:38 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Stalling out at high speed Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems