Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Looking for Rebuilt Strombergs  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-09-2018 09:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Bap2716

Hi everyone, I have an MK1 with duel Stromberg's. I need to have them rebuilt and someone told me I may be able to buy some already rebuilt. I live in Bellevue Washington near Seattle. Does anyone know where I can buy a rebuilt set of Stromberg's or a place that can rebuild them for me.

Brett 425-269-0202 brett.parmacek@boeing.com

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-10-2018 03:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DonBurns

The club store (JHPS.com - The Boutique) offers rebuilt Strombergs for exchange - pretty pricey though. Strombergs are pretty simple as carburetors go and it is not rocket science to rebuild them. I would suggest getting rebuild kits from Delta or the club store, and the Haynes shop manual on Stromberg CD Carburetors.

Posted: 11-10-2018 07:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
redracer

Brett: I've rebuilt 200+, so if you need parts, advice or some good tech tips peculiar to them, give me a shout.
bruce

Posted: 11-10-2018 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Tom Bradley

Hi Brett,

Joe Curto (joecurto.com) and Apple Hydraulics (http://www.applehydraulicsonline.com/collections/carburators) both rebuild Strombergs.

I recently had my extra pair rebuilt by Joe Curto. They came back looking like new, but the mounting between the carbs and the mounting plates was misaligned causing the throttle to get stuck at 3000RPM. It took me quite a while to figure out the problem. Calling Joe was not all that helpful. It also took them about 10 months to get around to doing them.

Many years ago I also had a pair rebuilt by Apple. They came back looking about the same as when they went out, but worked perfectly. Also the turn-around was a matter of a couple of weeks.

A rebuild kit is good if the carbs are in good shape, but if you also want to get the jets and bushings replaced a professional rebuild might be better. Also note that the Haynes manual has a typo in the inch measurement of the float height. Better to use the metric measurements.

Caution: if you might be buying gas in an area where there might be alcohol added, then make sure you get Nitrophyl floats. Apparently the alcohol eats away the regular floats over time.

Tom

Current time is 06:50 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > Looking for Rebuilt Strombergs Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems