Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
rear spring replacement  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-05-2005 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sjensen24

I plan to replace all of my springs, shocks and bushings.  I have jacked up the car and spent some time just looking around.  It is not clear to me how I get to the top of the rear shock.  The shop manual shows a nut and seems to imply that I need to remove that.  In real life, however, the top connection seems to be buried in the unibody construction.  How do I disconnect the spring at the top?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-05-2005 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mitch Ware

There are ( or should be) two nuts on the top end of the shock, it is reached from the exterior. There isn't a lot of room on top, but there is enough to get a couple of wrenches on to them.

Mitch Ware
1974 Jensen Healey JH5 #111119670
1971 Triumph TR6 #CC66950LO

Posted: 08-05-2005 11:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

I just went out to the garage, crammed a camera into the rear wheel well, and took the attached photo.  At the top of the bracket is a plastic cover that slips off to reveal two nuts securing the top of the shock to the bracket (and, in my case, the adjuster for the shock).

My car is 16371, and if yours is pre-13350, it may differ.

Attachment: Rear shock upper mount.jpg (Downloaded 87 times)

Posted: 08-07-2005 11:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Upon re-reading your post it occurs to me you might have been asking about the rear springs rather than the rear shocks.

To remove the rear springs, first undo the nut holding the spring to the lower arm.  Support the arm with a jack, remove the rear pivot bolt, and slowly lower the arm until it falls free of the spring.  Remove the forward pivot bolt on the arm and let it drop free.

Insert a 9/16" hex socket attached to a long extension shaft up through the center of the rear spring, and undo the hex bolt securing the spring upper bushing to the chassis.  With the bolt removed the rear spring will drop free.

When reinstalling the spring, the pin on the upper bushing fits into the unthreaded hole to the rear of the threaded weld-nut in the chassis.

Posted: 08-08-2005 01:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
sjensen24

Sorry,  I DID mean springs.

Current time is 02:09 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > rear spring replacement Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems