Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 19661 paint and bodywork

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
19661 paint and bodywork  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-04-2019 06:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
noomg

I've just ordered a carpet kit from McGregor. They have a black one in stock but I needed a brown one so they have to ship it from England, will see how long that takes but at least it's in the pipeline. As mentioned before their web site is out of date so the $450 price listed is actually going to be more like $700+. Best thing to do if you want to order from them is give them a phone call, I found them knowledgeable and helpful.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-07-2019 05:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
noomg

It took almost 3 months but the McGregor carpet kit finally arrived. As expected it's around 700 bucks, due to the US/Canada exchange rate I won't know the exact price until a get my VISA bill.

The quality is nice, not sure it's 700 bucks nice, but I'm just glad someone still supplies them. As expected it comes with no instructions of any kind, you'll just have to figure it out yourself.

I've started interior removal and figuring out how the new pieces fit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted: 05-21-2019 04:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Dakota123

Looks beautiful! Keep the updates coming!

Posted: 06-05-2019 05:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
noomg

Well I've gotten the old seats and what was left of the carpeting out along with the requisite clean up, rust mitigation, resealing and painting.

Next is figuring out where everything in the new carpet kit goes, typical of any Brit trim kit there are no directions. Over the years I've replaced; tops, tonneau covers, carpeting, seat covers with zero directions, I guess the assumption is you know what you're doing.

Some of the carpet pieces are obvious others not so much, it's sort of a process of elimination, but the pieces are starting to fall into place(pun intended).

A word about the jute backing. If your ordering from McGregor it's good stuff and pretty close to the original but make sure you measure up for what you need. I ordered 3 yards and I probably needed twice that since I'm doing the floor boards as well as the trans tunnel and rear wheel arches.

Posted: 06-06-2019 01:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

here is a diagram of the carpet lay out.
Brett.
http://www.deltamotorsports.com/products/pg10b-deltas-carpet-kits.html

Posted: 06-06-2019 05:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
noomg

Thanks Brett,

I have seen that Delta diagram, the carpet kit I got from McGregor is somewhat different, for example the front floor mats aren't one piece including the firewall, it's two pieces, one for the floor and one for the firewall. I'm sure that everything will go in just fine and look great once installed.

Posted: 06-06-2019 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
redracer

Something you may want to check if you're installing the "extra thick" padding, especially on the firewall and floors.
Having just finished working on a '75 that had this super thick padding:
1) the gas pedal will NOT go down far enough to full open the chokes(only on left hand drive cars, U.S.A., etc) .
2) the seat would not go back very far and get "jammed" by the extra thick junk.
You may wish to eliminate extra padding in those spots.
best wishes, bruce

Posted: 06-07-2019 12:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
noomg

Thanks for the heads up Bruce, I usually learn that stuff the hard way.

Posted: 06-17-2019 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
noomg

Well everything is going in and it's starting to look pretty nice. My biggest problem now is figuring out the overlaps, in other words which piece needs to go in first before you can install the next piece, but it's all coming together.

Posted: 06-23-2019 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
noomg

Well I just finished the carpet installation. Not all that difficult but it was a bit involved. It looks nice and it's the first time I've seen the car with a nice interior since I've had it(26yrs), the original was rotted and shredded when I got it. Next on to the seats, if anyone has any suggestions I love to hear them.

Attachment: IMG_1265.jpg (Downloaded 159 times)

Posted: 07-01-2019 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
noomg

Well with the dearth of suggestions I decided I have three ways to go, 1) order the seat kit from Delta 2) order the leather seat covers from Rejen 3) get seat foam from Delta then take everything to an upholsterer and have it done in leather.

Pros and cons,

1) The Delta option is probably easiest, cheapest, and quickest, but I'd love to have leather and I've heard mixed reviews on the Delta seat kits.
2) The Rejen option is leather and looks really nice but probably expensive and who knows how long it would take to get them. It took 3 months to get my carpet kit from England!
3) This might be the best option, I can talk to the guy face to face and look at actual materials to be used. This might be the most expensive way to go but I should be able to get what I want in a reasonable time frame.

Posted: 07-02-2019 01:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
mgreaves

Love your work !

Posted: 07-04-2019 01:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Art DeKneef

noomg

It always comes down to what you want and how much you want to pay.

I haven't used the Delta seat kit but know of one person who got it and said it was alright. He got it because they are local and had it in stock and wanted something relatively quick.

Getting it down locally would, like you said, you can see and feel the material before you decide. And where you are in California I doubt you would have too much difficulty finding a reasonable shop.

While looking for parts and stuff in the local wrecking yard, I got a pair of Miata seats in good condition. They will fit in the car, but for me, the front portion of the seat is a little too high and my legs are really close to the steering wheel. Thinking of replacing the steering wheel with a 13" unit and then I'll try the seats again.

For one of my other JH I have taken the seats apart and will be cleaning the frames and finding some seat foam with the idea of shaping the seat a little differently. But that is a ways off.

Posted: 07-04-2019 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
noomg

Art,

There's been a lot of discussion about Miata and Fiero seat swaps not only on this board but also on the Triumphs and MG boards. Which is fine, your car your choice, but I happen to like the stock seats and find them to be quite comfortable even on long road trips.

As far as the wheel swap goes it's good move for the Jensen-Healey, the steering is light to begin with so a smaller wheel is no problem and you get more leg and arm space. I'm running a 14" Lecarra on my Healey and could have gone 13" with no problem.

Posted: 07-18-2019 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
noomg

Had a bit of a setback this week, when I pulled the car out of the garage the battery was dead(way dead) and wouldn't take a charge. When I installed a new battery I got a lot of smoke from under the dash. So now I'll have to track down the short and repair any damage, hey it's British. Meanwhile I'm still forging ahead with the seats.

Posted: 07-18-2019 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Dakota123

FWIW, I just went with regen but in vinyl -- thought seriously about leather, but couldn't justify the price difference.  Vinyl was $600 for two seats, one seat bottom foam, and webbing.

Posted: 07-18-2019 09:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
noomg

Dakota,

What's the price difference in price between the leather and the vinyl and what's the lead time between placing your order and receiving it?

Posted: 07-19-2019 02:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Dakota123

About $500 for the vinyl, against $900 for leather as listed on eBay (not including the cushion etc.). Depends on the exchange rate, of course. We’ll have to see about delivery; just placed the order this morning — keep you posted...

Posted: 07-19-2019 03:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
noomg

Dakota,

Thanks for the info it's helpful, please keep us updated on how your project goes.

Posted: 08-17-2019 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
noomg

Just an update on the electrical issue. I pulled the console and glovebox for a closer look and the news was not good. It looks like the main harness behind the dash console is damaged(melted), how bad I won't know until I get further into it. I think the culprit was a short in the lighter on the console. Unfortunately I may be looking at a main harness replacement.

Current time is 09:08 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 19661 paint and bodywork Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems