Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
19661 paint and bodywork  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-16-2018 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
noomg

After 25 years I'm finally getting around to the cosmetics. Although the car runs and drives great and has been on the road since I got it in '93.
While both interior and exterior are shot I'm starting with the exterior. I'm taking the body down to bare metal since it's got three paint jobs on it already. It started life as a black car, then some PO got the brilliant idea to paint it WHITE over black(no problem there), after that some PO decided to paint black over white! I've got the doors/fenders/hood/trunk lid off and I'm stripping paint and doing bodywork. I'll post pictures when I have something worth looking at.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-30-2018 01:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
noomg

As I've been disassembling body parts and stripping things down to bare metal, I've been doing some forensic investigating into the history of the car. When I bought the car I wish I had asked the seller more questions about the history of the car, I guess I was just in a hurry to get it home. One thing I'd always found curious when I got 19661 is aside from cosmetic maintenance(bodywork and paint)this 18yo car was bone stock, no upgrades, add-ons, or accessories(wheels, performance exhaust, high flow air cleaners, etc.). By checking the paperwork that came with car I think I've been able to deduce the answer. 19661 was bought by a young woman and financed through her credit union around '82. Since women generally don't work on their cars, she was probably content to drive it as it was. It was in her family until '93. As yet I haven't found out anything before '82.

Posted: 08-30-2018 04:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Preserves1

I received this email when I had Q's @ my Jensen. I contacted Rich Calver. He was thorough & extreemly helpful-- read the article linked at the bottom of the page for the Jensen he researched.
=========================================================
VIN Database for Jensen Healey & Jensen GT > 1973 Jensen
==========================================================
Date: 2018-07-30 07:41:40
Reply: http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/reply.php?topic_id=2477

You might want to try Richard Calver's web site for some general information about the car. His email address is toward the bottom of the page and he will be happy to share with you any known info from his data base specific to your car. In the case of my car there was no updated info since it left the factory- colors, dates etc. If the same is true for your car he will be happy to know your car still exists and to have one more JH accounted for. Good luck

http://www.richardcalver.com/article_jh1.htm

Posted: 08-30-2018 11:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
noomg

Thanks for the links, lots of great info on our cars that I hadn't seen before. What would really be nice if the DMV would allow current owners to see the previous registrations so you could find out things like; how many owners, where it lived, what kind of work was performed on it. You might be able to contact previous owners and get some oral history.

Posted: 09-12-2018 07:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
noomg

Update: Well I'm just about finished with the bodywork and with any luck I can start reassembly this month. Now I'm looking for some place to do the paint. I tried one place that looked promising but they do mostly high end restorations. They said 7 to 10 thousand dollars, that's a little rich for my blood. I don't want to wind up with a car that I'm afraid to take out of the garage. What I'm looking for is a nice driver quality paint job that I won't be afraid to drive to the grocery store.

Current time is 10:55 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Projects > 19661 paint and bodywork Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems