Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Lights stay on  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-06-2018 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JH73

I have a 1973 Jensen Healey and the head lights stay on all the time...The flash to pass/ bright/dimmer switch in loose with forward and back motion....anyone know a easy fix...I would like to keep the current switch in place...Also I am in the market to a turn signal cover...Mine has a lot of cracks...Thanks for any help I can get!

Last edited on 08-06-2018 11:54 pm by JH73

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-10-2018 04:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Frank Schwartz

It's obvious that the part of your turn signal assembly is bad...There are two parts of that assembly, one for turn signal and such and on the right side is the washer squirter and wiper switch. I suggest you check with Delta as they may have a good one used or maybe even new to replace your defective switch turn signal assembly. If not, Moss Motors has an almost exact duplicate from a MGB, I think it is, that is made in China and is a nearly 100% duplicate. You may have to change the plug using your old one, but it bolts right in. I think the stalk on the China one is a mite shorter, but it works and is nicely made...also on the assembly from China the center plastic piece that works with the center return piece must be removed and your old white plastic one used....
Frank

Posted: 08-10-2018 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Frank Schwartz

I just looked it up on the Moss Motors site...part number 141-850 and is for the MGB and about 79 dollars. You can go to their site and see the unit ...If you are any kind of mechanic, you can see what needs to be done...carefully removing the blue center unit and replacing it with the old
white one..and removing your wiper switch assembly and attaching it to the new unit...and off you go...

Post to this site and let us know what you do...

Frank

Posted: 08-10-2018 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
DonBurns

For the left side - the turn signal, there is a unit available that is close but not an exact replacement. Delta has a source that takes your original core and combines with pieces from the new unit to produce what appears to be an exact replacement. The right side is available new. That's the route I took. I think $375 for both after core.

Remanufactured Turn Signal Switch -$200.00
Core Charge-$100.00
Wiper Switch OEM -$175.00
Shipping- $14.90
Credit for signal switch core- $(100.00)

I have since broken the new wiper switch by catching on my pant leg and have used wire and epoxy to repair.

Posted: 08-11-2018 05:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Frank Schwartz

That's pretty expensive...as I wrote, you can buy almost exact units from Moss Motors for the pair about 100 bucks...if you are a good do it yourself, you can remove the white centering unit from your old one and install it in the new one, change the plug on the wipers using your old plug..colors on the wires match...and that's it... So why pay 3475 dollars ???

Frank

Posted: 08-11-2018 05:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Frank Schwartz

oops typing error...that should be "why pay 375 dollars"

Frank

Posted: 08-15-2018 09:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
answerman

Actually, it's a pretty simple fix to remove the longer turn signal stalk from your old switch and install it on the MGB switch (along with swapping out the new blue cancelling cam for the old white one). I just did it with mine a couple of months ago. Stephen Luckett has a very nice writeup on how to do it: I can see if I can get permission to post it here.

Last edited on 08-15-2018 09:32 pm by answerman

Posted: 08-16-2018 02:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
redracer

Please remember for those that get one from Moss, Victoria British, The Roadster Factory, or wherever instead of DELTA that the locating tab on the inside round clamping place needs to be ground off, as our cars do not have a slot in the steering column for this tab.

Posted: 08-16-2018 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Frank Schwartz

I'd like to see what Steve Luckett has on this....maybe he will read this and give us the "thread"

Frank

Posted: 08-16-2018 10:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Tim Murphy

I second what redracer said about grinding off the tab on the inside of the clamping collar. Makes a big difference in how tight the collar must be in order to prevent rotation. It will help prevent the collar from cracking from being over tightened as happened to many of us. Take care all.

Current time is 09:31 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > Lights stay on Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems